• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Findmypast has new look

What do you think of the new Findmypast look

  • Great improvement

  • Interesting

  • Makes a change

  • Makes no difference to me

  • Don't like it

  • Not sure yet


Results are only viewable after voting.
whether you need a higher resolution monitor
A higher resolution monitor isn't likely to help someone with eyesight issues. What's needed is a larger monitor - and whilst larger monitors usually offer higher resolution that isn't always the case.
Where did he suggest that? I made suggestions which seem to have been ignored.
Sorry, I should have attributed the password manager suggestion to you.
 
But seriously, think of your eyes
I do think about them, but I'm not really sure what you are getting at here.
and your productivity
No, that is something I mostly chose not to think about nowadays - and I'm not sure how my monitor would impact on it anyway.
a curved Samsung 24in HD monitor costs just £99
It's not about the cost, it's about considering the environmental impact.

Also, I would struggle to fit a monitor that large on my desk, and in order to view the whole screen comfortably I'd have to move my seat somewhat further back - which might make using my keyboard tricky.
 
It's not about the cost, it's about considering the environmental impact.
You can give your old monitor to someone else less fortunate. There are lots of people who are struggling with small laptop screens who would really benefit from having an external monitor that htey can use at home.
Also, I would struggle to fit a monitor that large on my desk, and in order to view the whole screen comfortably I'd have to move my seat somewhat further back - which might make using my keyboard tricky.
Monitors come on stands so they only use a few inches of desk space. And unless your desk is very shallow you probably won't need to move your seat back. My eyes are generally about 12in from my laptop screen (15in) and when I use my desktop (actually a tower) I'm about 24in away from the 32in screen. So for me 18in would be about right for a 24in screen. Most websites recommend greater distances but I suspect the people who write the advice have better eyesight than I do, and I suspect a lot of the recommendations were developed in the days of CRT displays.
 
Sony recommend that the distance from a 4k TV is 1.5 times the screen height, which translates to just under 4ft for a 65in TV. I suspect that in practice most people would sit further away - looking at the equivalent figures for HD screens suggests that Sony are giving the minimum distance at which individual pixels are not noticeable.
 
Monitors come on stands so they only use a few inches of desk space. And unless your desk is very shallow you probably won't need to move your seat back.
However small the stand is you still need space around it for the rest of the monitor, and yes, my desk is quite shallow - I only have about 2" of empty desk space behind my current monitor.

I currently sit with my eyes about 30" from my monitor, although I might occasionally move in a bit closer to decipher some particularly obscure old handwriting. That's well within the recommended range for my monitor, and also means my arms are in a comfortable position for the mouse and keyboard.
 
However small the stand is you still need space around it for the rest of the monitor, and yes, my desk is quite shallow - I only have about 2" of empty desk space behind my current monitor.
You shouldn't need space around it because the screen will be above most other things on your desk. If your current screen is at desk height it may be too low for your back (I used to use a pile of books with my old old monitor). Computer desks have a raised platform for this reason.
I currently sit with my eyes about 30" from my monitor, although I might occasionally move in a bit closer to decipher some particularly obscure old handwriting. That's well within the recommended range for my monitor, and also means my arms are in a comfortable position for the mouse and keyboard.
I don't think you've told us what the resolution of your monitor is, or what the screen size is. Personally I couldn't sit that far away unless I increased the text size, whereas you're having to reduce the text size.

Even if you are comfortable sitting that far away from the screen, getting a bigger monitor needn't mean moving farther away. The text isn't necessarily going to increase in size in proportion to the size of the screen - because the reason for upgrading is to fit more on the screen (and thereby eliminate the need to zoom out).
 
You shouldn't need space around it because the screen will be above most other things on your desk. If your current screen is at desk height it may be too low for your back (I used to use a pile of books with my old old monitor). Computer desks have a raised platform for this reason.
It's nice to have someone concerned for my welfare, but it's all good - no computer related problems with either my eyes or my back (or anything else for that matter). My desk doesn't have a monitor shelf over, it has a keyboard and mouse shelf under instead.
I don't think you've told us what the resolution of your monitor is, or what the screen size is. Personally I couldn't sit that far away unless I increased the text size, whereas you're having to reduce the text size.
It's a 15" screen, 1024 x 768 resolution - I did say it was the day before yesterday's model! It's only for the new style FMP pages that I am reducing to 75% - everything else works fine at 100%.
 
Same happened for me at my last renewal (Ancestry). Mine's due in a week, so I'm hoping for a good discount again. Fingers crossed!
I was offered a 50% discount when I logged into Ancestry today. Use this link to check it out as you might be able to support LostCousins at the same time!
 
I was offered a 50% discount when I logged into Ancestry today
Doesn't work for me. I am permanently logged in so I logged out and used the link. The link took me to the start a free trial page and how I can bring my back story to life. (Grrr, my back does not have a story!!)
When I logged back in I didn't get an offer either.
 
Computer glasses are merely prescription glasses with lens optimised for normal screen distance viewing.

I have computer glasses but have to admit forgot about them until I read your post I got them three years ago along with my progressives, which I only wear when watching TV while doing needlework. I can read quite well without them as long as I do not close my right eye. I find myself closing the left quite often without even realizing it but can read the screen and any book with just the right eye. I think the reason why I pretty much forgot them is because I can see the computer screen better without them; the print is just the teeniest bit fuzzy around the edges with them.
 
I have computer glasses but have to admit forgot about them until I read your post
I think the reason why I pretty much forgot them is because I can see the computer screen better without them; the print is just the teeniest bit fuzzy around the edges with them.
Well CB, if I may be so bold as to say so, perhaps it's time to get them tested again? ;) I am sure Canadian Optometrists use the same equipment as the UK and I well recall being asked what sort of distance I sat from my monitors, and then having set an adjustable screen at that distance, going through variable lens strengths (with each eye) until I pronounced whether A or B gave the best vision. Then, of course, after visiting the Opticians to try on my new Computer glasses, being asked to check they performed as intended by moving my chair to view a screen at the right distance.

I do not have old computer glasses, but if I judge your 'a bit fuzzy' comments with older prescription glasses (which of course as I rarely discard anything I keep for 'contingencies') then yes, older glasses -especially viewed through my 'inferior' eye (by that I mean the one that needs the most correction over time)- may well make things appear fuzzy.

On the other hand you may be one of those who (like my wife for instance) actually gets a no-change report and last time an 'improved' vision report, in which case she also would not want to use her older glasses for fear they made things appear fuzzy. But either way an eye test and mentioning about the 'fuzziness' will soon uncover the reason why this happens.
 
I no longer wear my reading glasses, because as I have aged my near sight has improved sufficiently that I don't need them - though I'm sure an optician would disagree.
 
My eyes have changed several times over the past ten years or so. Before I had cataract surgery I needed glasses for close-up work; in fact I also needed a strong light as well as a magnifying light for doing needlework (cross stitch). Afterwards, everything changed to the opposite. Then I had retinal surgery and everything changed again. Today I have progressives so I can see the TV and also for my stitching. The maglight is very much necessary. (I also have macular degeneration but it is not all that noticeable as yet) But for just plain reading I do not need the glasses at all. My current glasses are over three years old but insurance will not pay for new ones until February.

I should add that Ancestry has not offered a 50% discount either, but my subscription is good until March. I pay for six months at a time. And I use ancestry.ca
 
My eyes have changed several times over the past ten years or so. Before I had cataract surgery I needed glasses for close-up work; in fact I also needed a strong light as well as a magnifying light for doing needlework (cross stitch). Afterwards, everything changed to the opposite. Then I had retinal surgery and everything changed again. Today I have progressives so I can see the TV and also for my stitching. The maglight is very much necessary. (I also have macular degeneration but it is not all that noticeable as yet) But for just plain reading I do not need the glasses at all. My current glasses are over three years old but insurance will not pay for new ones until February.
Having read of your eyesight problems and solutions, you certainly didn't need any advice about taking another eye test, and most likely may not need new computer glasses as another test may confirm. Good luck.
 
Last edited:
I have always found that examination to be very confusing. I feel that I am sitting a test and have to give the 'correct' answer! I am not all that happy with my last pair of specs.:(

I can understand why questions asked at an eye test ..."which lens is clearer A or B" (repeated ad infinitum) ..."can you read the line below"... "keep you eye on the red dot and press the button when you see anything in your peripheral vision" and more of the same can seem daunting, I have to admit I have only met tolerance and patience even when I ask for a particular test to be repeated.

As for not being happy with the new specs, even if accepted at the time, I would most certainly return to the Opticians and explain why I was unhappy with the new glasses, providing of course it is not just a belated decision of not liking the frames. (Although in my wife's case I doubt even that would daunt her).
 
Back
Top