• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Findmypast has new look

What do you think of the new Findmypast look

  • Great improvement

  • Interesting

  • Makes a change

  • Makes no difference to me

  • Don't like it

  • Not sure yet


Results are only viewable after voting.
I thought I had cancelled and was waiting for the e-mail offering the discount but when it did not come I checked, lo and behold I was renewed to September (six months). It was MyHeritage I had cancelled. I will not be renewing that one in any case anyway.

I have always known the story as Chicken Little, but after Googling, I see that it has many names.
 
I have always known the story as Chicken Little, but after Googling, I see that it has many names.
Yes, it seems to depend on what part of the world you are in, and until relatively recently I’d never come across it as anything other than Chicken Licken.
 
Goodness me, where on earth is this discussion going next.
It's making a change from the constant battering of emails about 'what we are doing to keep our staff and our customers safe'.:rolleyes:
 
Yes I have cancelled my Ancestry subscription due to expire 7 April, despite Ancestry doing its best to change my mind. (It took 3 pages warning of consequences but I held firm).
I don't want to put a spanner in the works but....
I went though all the pages of Ancestry trying to persuade me to stay and thought that I had cancelled my renewal, but the subscription renewed anyway.
I called them and they were very good and cancelled for me and did not charge anything, but I did not get an offer for subscription for 2 months and that was only 20%, still better than nothing. I have had the offer again this month too.
I know from previous posts that Tim said he always gets a 50% subscription, so if you don't get the renewal offer you want, maybe he can help.
I use the 50% off every year.
Ping me if you need the link.
 
Ping received Bob
If that is a question then NO. If it is a request for same, then YES -providing I understand what you mean by PING. Ping in IT terms is a means of 'pinging' another computer to check on connectivity between both, and likewise to ping a website, for the same reasons. All this is done using the Command Prompt, typing PING and the ISP of the other computer. So I am at a loss to see how it relates to being advised how to obtain a 50%(hopefully) discount on renewing with Ancestry.

I thought when first used you meant a link provided perhaps by a Personal Message (i.e. conversation) via this Forum but now not so sure. So please Tim kindly explain what you mean by PING and how will you go about it. Ta very much.
 
Hi Bob, I completely understand the use of ping from the command prompt :). However, in more recent times, it has come to mean the noise your phone, iPad or pc makes when you receive a message.

So just send me a pm, or as it seems to have recently changed, a dm (direct message) :rolleyes:
 
But as others seem to believe it a 'rite of passage' to cancel and renew at a significant discount (fingers crossed), I thought it time to do the same
I thought you would be pleased to know, following Tim's PING advice, and just a day after my old Ancestry subscription expired (having cancelled automatic renewal), I followed Tim's link and hey presto, renewed my 12 month subscription for £59.99. This time I chose the UK Premium option, having made up my mind I no longer needed the 'World' one (and still have FMP if needed), and am well pleased I listened to advice being offered to cancel and renew at a discount. Thanks especially to Tim for his 'PING', even if he had to explain to this oldie, what it meant.

Edit: Perhaps I should warn Ancestry initially offered me a 'discount renew' for a similar price but for 6 MONTHS only, then renewing at the normal price. Tim's link offered the same deal for 12 month renewal. As Peter would say..'it's not rocket science'.
 
Back
Top