I might equally bemoan the fact that Ancestry isn't more like Findmypast - because there are plenty of things I can do at Findmypast that won't work, or won't work nearly as well, at Ancestry.
I really have no issue with you on FMP as a research entity, and even agree it excels in areas where Ancestry flounders. But, as I have said above, if conducting a Search from an Ancestors page (looking for say a Census or other media) then yes, my first choice would be Ancestry. More often than not it finds what I seek and requires minimum input from me as it has everything it needs from information already stored. If the results throw up ‘chaff’ then it is up to me to pick out the ‘wheat’
But for a ‘blind’ search -someone not in my Tree - then FMP would be the natural choice because it deals with such far better (birthplace input aside for the moment). If that fails then of course Ancestry must be tried before turning to Family Search, Free BMD or GRO. So, in short, it is horses for courses; that is what experience teaches.
What I seek from conducting searches is results in single figures, or low double. Not in multiple hundreds and heaven forbid, thousands. It seems both fair and logical to aid such results by maximising input, not minimising. Yet that is what you advocate, and FMP seems to relish. It goes against the natural order a bit like giving a description of a car to a policeman as a car or van of darkish colour, rather than a Blue Ford Fiesta.
And a further reminder that when something doesn't work you can help others (and maybe yourself too) by investigating why this is.
My advice (as already given) is to use Ancestry first and foremost for getting additional information on an Ancestor (pick and choose from the results with caution). Or if conducting a blind search, (assuming you have a subscription) use FMP. Enter names, preferably a first and a surname (use name variants sparingly). Input date(s) (stay with +/-2 if possible). I like to enter a county birthplace (in the hope of minimising results) but if this does not work, and as Peter advises, leave it out and just hope and pray you are seeking an Emmanuel Goosetrotter and not a John or Mary Smith. If using Family Search or Free BMD than a county birthplace improves results not hinders.