I've never heard of computer glasses, but the size of the monitor shouldn't make any difference - it's the distance from the screen that determines the prescription, and that's more about personal preference.I bought computer glasses and found they made things worse. The opticians admitted that they weren’t suitable for the size of monitor I use. Fortunately they replaced them with a different type of lens and now I find them invaluable.
You are right. The size of the screen meant I viewed from a certain optimum distance and that was what the original glasses were wrong for.I've never heard of computer glasses, but the size of the monitor shouldn't make any difference - it's the distance from the screen that determines the prescription, and that's more about personal preference.
I have not "automatically renewed" Ancestry for a some time - ticking "taking a break". I usually get a half-price offer within two weeks - I'll give an update around 16th JanNot tried the same with FMP.
Phil
The offer arrived "instantly"My subscription ended yesterday and I was offered half-price membership when I logged in 30 minutes ago
![]()
Same happened for me back in August, half price offer came the same day my previous subscription expired. Clearly Ancestry can't bear to lose our custom, even for 1 day.Same here. My subscription expired on 31 December. When I logged in on 1 January, the half price offer was there
I wonder what I'm doing wrong?? I never log out of Ancestry and I always have an annual sub which means Ancestry has my credit card details.half price offer came the same day my previous subscription expired
Did you cancel the "auto-renew"? I always do that in the last week of the subscription and select "taking a break" as the reason.I wonder what I'm doing wrong??
I do the same as you, Phil (after you offered this tip previously - thanks!).Did you cancel the "auto-renew"? I always do that in the last week of the subscription and select "taking a break" as the reason.
Phil
Unlike FMP where there is a clear 'auto-renew' button that you can turn on or off, Ancestry just assume auto-renewal unless you cancel. Cancelling is easy to do via the 'cancel my subscription' link at the bottom of the Subscriptions section of the 'Your Account' page. You can do this anytime and the subscription will run until the expiry date and then be cancelled. I tend to do it when I get the email telling me my subscription is about to auto-renew.I am pretty sure that I cancelled the auto-renew but cannot find out now where it is. How do I find out if I have indeed done that? All I see is that it ends in March.
I like that one!You can also give 'too expensive' as your reason for cancelling.
I'll make a diary note to do that.I tend to do it when I get the email telling me my subscription is about to auto-renew.
OK you have me here - and not just you Helen - will someone kindly explain why ones needs to cancel a subscription (and apparently renew later) when one has had (in my case certainly) the subscription for 'n' number of years, and intends for it to continue?Unlike FMP where there is a clear 'auto-renew' button that you can turn on or off, Ancestry just assume auto-renewal unless you cancel. Cancelling is easy to do via the 'cancel my subscription' link at the bottom of the Subscriptions section of the 'Your Account' page. You can do this anytime and the subscription will run until the expiry date and then be cancelled. I tend to do it when I get the email telling me my subscription is about to auto-renew.
Bob, have you considered loading your tree to FMP? Or maybe just a small subset of people from Warwickshire and see how it deals with the hints for those?FMP may have a new look, but I am currently not too pleased with it throwing up so many 'No Results Found' (NRF) particularly when searching in Census records - when clearly there ARE results.
Yes thanks Tim, I now see the £.s.d logic of why people do such things and believe me I am not against making savings. Even so I would have to be convinced that having to upload new Trees (I have more than one and 3 are DNA linked) would not be detrimental, either to the way they perform or to my own perception of same. In short I am too set in my ways to 'play the field' and most likely will continue as I am. (I believe it is called the quite life).Bob, There is a link for Ancestry that will give a 50% off. It only works if you don't have a current subscription. Therefore you cancel the auto renew and once your subscription runs out, you use the link and save a lot of money.
I have considered this Tim mainly because FMP constantly remind it would be beneficial, but have yet to be persuaded. I can see why it might be beneficial if it afforded the same benefit enjoyed by Ancestry when searching from within an Ancestors page. It is certainly something to think about and perhaps trying just a small subset might be a good way to test it out. I have put it on my 'to do' list and thank you for the tip.Bob, have you considered loading your tree to FMP? Or maybe just a small subset of people from Warwickshire and see how it deals with the hints for those?
Why would you have to upload new trees? You keep the same trees, including DNA linked ones, if you cancel your Ancestry sub then renew at a later date.Even so I would have to be convinced that having to upload new Trees