• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Probate Registry Wills

In one case I was provided with the correct will but the grant of probate was for the preceding entry in the calendar. I had a quick reply to say the error would be corrected but no further action. That one does not really matter as the grant will probably only have the same information as the calendar entry.
I downloaded again today and found that the document now on the system is the missing grant of probate, but without the will this time.
If anyone does get an email reply saying there will be action then go back and download again.

If there has been no reply to an email probably nothing will have changed. My will with a missing page and my will with a codicil only and no will are still as they were.
 
I received a email this morning at 0816 with the usual apology about the delays , and in now seems that they have taken on ironmountain.co uk to help them sort these out, any body else had these3
 
Today I received the will I ordered on 13 Feb - estimated delivery date 28 Feb, delivered 28 Feb, so bang on time. Was this a fluke or have they now cleared the backlog? I wonder how this compares with others' recent experience?
 
I ordered a will on 7 November 2019 (will is from 2017) with an estimated delivery date of 22 November. After 11 weeks of waiting I sent a query on 8 February 2020 and got the standard email response saying I would get a reply in 2 working days. This is the reply I got on 3 March:

"Dear Customer,
We are still experiencing very high demand for copies of wills, which delays significantly the usual timescale to provide you with the copies requested.
Due to the increased volumes, we are unable to provide you with a specific timetable for when we are able to deliver your documents. However we are making all the efforts to speed up the process and it will take us several weeks to work through the orders already in the system.
We thank you for your patience and cooperation. We will get back to you with updates as soon as we can.
Kind Regards,
HMCTS Wills Helpdesk"

So 15 weeks today and still "several weeks" to wait...
 
Today I received the will I ordered on 13 Feb - estimated delivery date 28 Feb, delivered 28 Feb, so bang on time. Was this a fluke or have they now cleared the backlog? I wonder how this compares with others' recent experience?
I received 6 wills in February with delivery varying between 9 days early and 6 days late compared with the estimate.
It looks like for current orders they are keeping up on average but delivery is unpredictable.

From this forum they are still doing less well with clearing some of the undelivered orders from months ago. We do not know how many are still missing.

Some progress is being made with enquiries about problems with delivered wills. I had the wrong grant of probate attached. That was put right within days. A missing page was corrected by the complete grant being sent again by email, after normal viewing had expired.
I am still waiting for a will where only the codicil was provided and that was mid January.

If there is a problem with a delivered will it is worth using the Contact Us form via the link you can see after signing in.
 
The 2017 will I requested on 7 November 2019, estimated delivery 22 November, finally arrived at exactly 17 weeks, on 20 March 2020.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Tim
Does anyone know if they are still opperating normally ? There is a will I would like t ?o order but I am loathe to do so if they are not working normally
 
Wills that I ordered during Jan/Feb 2020 took about 3 weeks. During June, it varied from a few days to 3 weeks. August's order was ready within 2 to 5 *days*. Virtually all of the 70+ wills I've ordered have been useful in some way (eg, confirming identity/relationships or giving exact addresses, middle names, children's spouses' names, occupations etc), and about 70% have mentioned personal possessions. I have observed that (1) wills of *women* are more likely to mention personal possessions, household items and heirlooms; and (2) wills of *unmarried* women often mention the extended family (eg, cousins, nieces/nephews & their children).
 
In response to Peter’s request in the newsletter of 23 August ‘If you have any recent experience of the service please add your comments to the discussion’ this is my experience this year.
Ordered 2 wills on 5 Mar 2020
One arrived on 7 Mar 2020
The other arrived on 13 Mar 2020

At the same time I left several wills in my basket. Went back to finalise that order about 2 months later, they had disappeared. Have never had a satisfactory answer as to why that happened.
Haven’t yet got around to making another attempt.

Ordered 1 will on 5 Jul 2020
It arrived on 21 Jul 2020.
The automated messaging about expiry is working as it should.
 
At the same time I left several wills in my basket. Went back to finalise that order about 2 months later, they had disappeared. Have never had a satisfactory answer as to why that happened.
That sort of information may well have been stored in a 'session cookie', so would have disappeared when you logged-out (or were logged-out).
 
That sort of information may well have been stored in a 'session cookie', so would have disappeared when you logged-out (or were logged-out).
That makes sense but I do wonder why they couldn't have told me how their system works.
 
After my experience last year I bravely ordered some more wills on 9 July. They all came very promptly except for one which is still outstanding. I suppose I'd better follow it up!
 
My orders have come through quite well:
1927 will ordered 2nd Feb received 5th Feb
2017 will ordered 12th July received 14th July
1964 will and 1971 will ordered 12 th July received 20th July.
 
My wills have come relatively quickly so no complaints there.
They did send an email saying they hadn't got one of them. When I sent a screen shot of their page giving the details they apologised and sent it.
I guess the moral is here that you don't take their word for it if you think they are wrong.
 
This is a brilliant resource, except when it takes a year for a will to be sent! I ordered two wills July 2019, one came quickly and the other didn't turn up till Dec 2019 and it was the wrong one. After several emails trying to get sorted, was eventually sent August 2020. Yet one this August arrived within a week. Would advise others to use.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered a 2009 will late Friday afternoon and it was delivered late Sunday afternoon (yesterday), in line with the estimated delivery date. Quite impressive!
 
After my previous post I sent a query re my outstanding will, ordered 7 July. I got the usual acknowledgement on 27 August, we will endeavour to provide a response within 2 working days. Since then no contact or explanation until this evening when the will has just arrived. Nothing contentious with it, all correct. So rather late but I've got it!
 
Back
Top