It's just possible that there was not a 'marriage' so much as as a point at which she started to go by a different name. Hard to know why they would not marry if there was no obstacle (such as pre-existing marriage - see 'Jane Eyre') but such things have been known to happen (believe it or not).
Maybe they were married to other people and decided to live together and not get divorced from their partners?
Have you tried ordering a certificate? The GRO Marriage Index is well known to have errors and omissions.
Tim has raised a good point, I had a quick look for them in 1911 and could not find them, do you know when they died ?How long does the 1911 census say they've been married?
Tim has raised a good point, I had a quick look for them in 1911 and could not find them, do you know when they died ?
Charles Ward is there in 1911 at 64 Swaton Road, Bow but as a widower and he has given himself as Mr C Ward and his two children (I think) as C Ward jun & E Ward. Luckily he has mistakenly given the details of his "present" marriage - married 34 years, 7 children, 2 dead, 5 living.
Charles Ward is there in 1911 at 64 Swaton Road, Bow but as a widower and he has given himself as Mr C Ward and his two children (I think) as C Ward jun & E Ward. Luckily he has mistakenly given the details of his "present" marriage - married 34 years, 7 children, 2 dead, 5 living. Ref: RG14 1710 Sch 171.
Pauline
Congratulations Carla, might this be a brickwall tumbling?
I agree that the C Ward jun is son Charles but is the E Ward Charles's wife or is it daughter Ethel? There is no relationship shown for C or E, the "jun" gives it away that it is son Charles but do we know if Ethel married or when she died? I've looked over the previous posts and there doesn't seem to be any mention of either fact.the C and E are for his son Charles and wife Elizabeth.
I think you mean 1876, you are boggled Ha Ha !! I looked up boggle on GoogleThe census suggested 1776 for her birth but I did look around that year too. I think I just got too boggled with it all, and tired, and then couldn't find anything in the end.![]()
The 'obvious' answer would seem to be that E is the daughter. She comes after the son, which is an unusual place to put a wife. Perhaps Carla's family knowledge will cut in here - is 23 the right age for a daughter begining with E? and is there any tradition of Charles taking a second wife/partner 31 years younger than himself?I agree that the C Ward jun is son Charles but is the E Ward Charles's wife or is it daughter Ethel? There is no relationship shown for C or E, the "jun" gives it away that it is son Charles but do we know if Ethel married or when she died? I've looked over the previous posts and there doesn't seem to be any mention of either fact.
so..notionally married about 1877. Looks like a consistent story - but is it just a cover story?
I think you mean 1876, you are boggled Ha Ha !! I looked up boggle on Google
1. To hesitate as if in fear or doubt.
2. To shy away or be overcome with fright or astonishment:
It's ok Carla, unboggle yourself, we are getting there.
The marriage year is roughly as I thought, seeing as I dont seem to be able to find their eldest daughter Clara's birth record either. The census suggested 1776 for her birth but I did look around that year too. I think I just got too boggled with it all, and tired, and then couldn't find anything in the end.
![]()
I agree that the C Ward jun is son Charles but is the E Ward Charles's wife or is it daughter Ethel? There is no relationship shown for C or E, the "jun" gives it away that it is son Charles but do we know if Ethel married or when she died? I've looked over the previous posts and there doesn't seem to be any mention of either fact.
Well done Pauline, well found !!I think the most likely birth entry for Clara would be Clara Louisa Ward, Dec Qtr 1875 in the Poplar registration district. This would be consistent with the 1907 marriage of Clara Louisa Ward & Oliver Biggs at All Hallows, Bromley by Bow, where her father is given as Charles William Ward, packer and the witnesses are Charles William Ward & Ethel Ward.
Pauline