• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Marriage records

Carla, do you have the marriage details of all the children? I see that Clara Louisa married in 1907 (as Pauline found) also Emma (Emily Elizabeth) married in 1898, Edward Albert Alexander married in 1902 and Ethel Eleanor married in 1918, haven't found Charles yet but we are chipping away at it, the brick wall I mean.


Not yet. I think I explained before that another member of my family researched my grandfathers ancestral line and I have emailed her to ask if she actually has any certificates, etc to prove this. I mean all the information we have points to this couple but I hope to have a reply in the next few days and if she hasn't then I will send off for some certificates. Her information was proven but I dont actually have that proof! I will feel a right twit if I find she actually has the marriage certificate!! :oops:
 
Carla, do you have the marriage details of all the children? I see that Clara Louisa married in 1907 (as Pauline found) also Emma (Emily Elizabeth) married in 1898, Edward Albert Alexander married in 1902 and Ethel Eleanor married in 1918, haven't found Charles yet but we are chipping away at it, the brick wall I mean.
Following on from my post above, are you sure that Charles William Ward 1883 son of Charles William Ward 1857 married Elizabeth Lillian Pretty in 1902, looking at the original parish entries for Charles's children, I find it strange that for the other childrens marriages the father is shown as Charles William Ward, Packer, but for Charles's marriage he is shown as Traveller. Now if Charles was the last to be marrried I could understand Charles Snr changing his profession but this is not the case. Emily (Emma) marries in 1898, Edward in June 1902, Charles in Aug 1902? Clara in 1907 and Ethel in 1918. Another fact that is strange is that Emma's address on marriage is 88 Fern St, Edward - 88 Fern St, Charles - Clive Rd, Clara- 88 Fern St, Ethel - 64 Swaton Rd (which is the address on 1911 census, which adds to it being Ethel that is on the 1911 census with her father and brother) Charles William 1883 is living at 88 Fern St in the 1901 census.
 
Following on from my post above, are you sure that Charles William Ward 1883 son of Charles William Ward 1857 married Elizabeth Lillian Pretty in 1902, looking at the original parish entries for Charles's children, I find it strange that for the other childrens marriages the father is shown as Charles William Ward, Packer, but for Charles's marriage he is shown as Traveller. Now if Charles was the last to be marrried I could understand Charles Snr changing his profession but this is not the case. Emily (Emma) marries in 1898, Edward in June 1902, Charles in Aug 1902? Clara in 1907 and Ethel in 1918. Another fact that is strange is that Emma's address on marriage is 88 Fern St, Edward - 88 Fern St, Charles - Clive Rd, Clara- 88 Fern St, Ethel - 64 Swaton Rd (which is the address on 1911 census, which adds to it being Ethel that is on the 1911 census with her father and brother) Charles William 1883 is living at 88 Fern St in the 1901 census.


I am now muttering under my breath here! Not at you Heather, but the fact that this all goes to show how sloppy I have obviously been and I am kicking myself. I will totally admit that this forum has shown me how careful I must be....more careful than I have been and quite honestly I feel like crying. (not at you Heather!!!!) It has brought it home to me that I do have to go and order those certificates, which actually what I did at the beginning of my research. I have no idea what happened......the cost probably had something to do with it...but I got to a certain stage and then didnt purchase any more and really that is where the proof of my ancestors is. Well I am living and learning, and it's been swift :(.
Thank goodness for this forum because I can see I would have carried on in this perfectly careless manner and made some stupid mistakes. Ha, and there I was looking in horror at other people's trees and the mistakes I saw and I have done exactly the same tthing. It seems other people on Ancestry have done the same, as I took a look at their trees. Hey ho we are like a lot of lemmings...or should that be sheep. Oh dear I hope that doesnt sound too rude :eek:, and I count myself as one of them, sadly.
Well thank you very much for this wake up call. I could have put this in a private messge but felt I should put this out there for everyone else as a warning to check, check and recheck those 'facts'! (I am off to look at that marriage)
 
Just an update for those who have tried to help. I have ordered my direct ancestor, Emily Elizabeth Ward's birth certificate and that will tell me if I have her mother's maiden name correct. Once I have established that detail I will see what else I can find/correct o_O. I am also looking back on my relatives research, as he did a family tree, and I have all his old letters (hand written letters are so wonderful) so maybe I can clarify the marriage that way. I will let you all know what I find.
 
Quick update...again :)

This morning I received the birth certificate for my ancestor Emily E Ward and it does indeed show that her mother Sarah's maiden name was Joyce. Interestingly it does not show Charles or Sarah's middle names, but does confirm their address and Charles's occupation, so I am happy with that. My relative emailed me yesterday, having been away for a week (how inconsiderate when I need the information right now ;)), and is on the hunt for the marriage certificate. Hopefully it won't be long before I get that answer?Joyce birth certificate.jpg
 
Quick update...again :)

This morning I received the birth certificate for my ancestor Emily E Ward and it does indeed show that her mother Sarah's maiden name was Joyce. Interestingly it does not show Charles or Sarah's middle names, but does confirm their address and Charles's occupation, so I am happy with that. My relative emailed me yesterday, having been away for a week (how inconsiderate when I need the information right now ;)), and is on the hunt for the marriage certificate. Hopefully it won't be long before I get that answer?

Good to have Sarah's maiden name confirmed. Everything pointed that way but sometimes things aren't what they seem. It would be good if you could also find the marriage - although there's always a possibility that they didn't formally marry it's always struck me as a bit odd that they should be living next door to Sarah's father and not be married. Maybe he'd lost his shotgun?

Pauline
 
Back