Could you please give me a short cut to the discussion about short cuts? I'm still trying to find my way around the discussions!Shortcuts...Aren't they great? But we covered that in another discussion![]()
Could you please give me a short cut to the discussion about short cuts? I'm still trying to find my way around the discussions!Shortcuts...Aren't they great? But we covered that in another discussion![]()
Residence facts should, in my opinion, be individual's facts, not shared. Using FTM or ancestry when adding the census to an individual you are able to add the residence fact to all the individuals in your tree that are on that census. It may be that the spouse was not at home on the night of the census so was not recorded or was recorded elsewhere.
May I ask why you think they should always be individual facts?
Yes Lynne, I add 3 separate Lost Cousins facts if they happen to be on 1841, 1881 and 1911.What happens when a relative appears on more than one relevant census? Do you add a second Lost Cousin Fact? I use "description" so I can record two or more censuses without FTM getting over-excited!
View attachment 861
I assume that since you do it by date, that's how it works with FTA?
On the Marriage Fact you have the address Tilsbury, Wilshire, England. This address is shared with her partner. You could update this address and both places will change.It doesn't do that in FTM 2010 (unless I'm doing something wrong). It adds the residence fact to the individual's facts which I find frustrating since they are clearly living together! Here is an example of an ancestor for whom I haven't yet created a "residence shared" fact. You can see he's been married for two census, but both facts appear in the individual area.
View attachment 859
So I created "residence shared" so that it would be listed under the marriage fact. Here is the relative I am working on at the moment.
View attachment 860
Does this change with FTM 2014? Am I now setting myself up for trouble when I upgrade next month?
Here's a shortcut to the Shortcuts discussion.Could you please give me a short cut to the discussion about short cuts? I'm still trying to find my way around the discussions!
It's true that an individual Fact is created, but they share the same source citation.FTM 2010 always records the residence fact as an individual fact, even if (as in the case of my 2g-grandparents) there are twelve individuals in the same household. I prefer the couples to be listed as sharing one fact -- perhaps it's just my own personal oddity. May I ask why you think they should always be individual facts? (I like hearing why other people do things differently).
A Lost Cousins Fact and a Census Fact are two different things. A Lost Cousins Fact indicates the person has been entered onto Lost Cousins with the specific year. A census fact indicates you have found them on a census for that year.While I still have a relatively small number of entries in my LC facts, should I convert them to Census facts in order to use FTA efficiently?
You can use Residence facts or census facts interchangeably FTAnalyzer will cope with either provided the "Treat Residence facts as Census facts" option is ticked which it is by default.I don't create Census facts; I create Residence facts. FTM 2010 automatically creates the facts as residence facts so I have followed that lead. Why would one use Census over Residence (or vice versa)?
Hmmm interesting. I've never seen that before and can say that this special custom fact will show up as unrecognised in FTAnalyzer. It won't be treated as either a census fact nor a residence fact. I would agree with Norman it doesn't make sense to be a shared fact as very frequently the couple won't be together. eg: spouse has died. So you'd end up with some instances being individual facts and some being shared which would render any reports of who was missing a residence useless as it would be cumbersome to craft a report that looked at the two conflicting fact types.Also, I have created another shared fact called "Residence Shared" so that couple share the same address information under their marriage information. I have then deleted their individual facts.
The Lost Cousins fact format needs no description at all. The only thing you need to add is the date (year is good enough) to the date field - NOT the description field. The description field should be blank, its a date and belongs in the date field. If you have someone who has multiple entries in different years on Lost Cousins then they should have multiple Lost Cousins facts, just with different dates.In my custom Lost Cousin facts, I put description only (no date or place) and simply type the dates (1841, 1881, 1911) as appropriate. Is that the idea?
This is EXACTLY as it should be. A residence fact doesn't always apply to both people in the marriage (g: one dies before the other, they are resident somewhere before they marry etc. More importantly a shared fact won't show up for any of the children so you are effectively missing out recording where the children were living at the point in their lives when they were children.It doesn't do that in FTM 2010 (unless I'm doing something wrong). It adds the residence fact to the individual's facts which I find frustrating since they are clearly living together! Here is an example of an ancestor for whom I haven't yet created a "residence shared" fact. You can see he's been married for two census, but both facts appear in the individual area.
View attachment 859
It is exactly the same in FTM 2014 as it is in FTM 2010 and I would EXTREMELY STRONGLY advise that you abandon the shared residence fact it makes reporting extremely difficult and will cause you problems in future. The GEDCOM standard identifies RESIdence facts as a individual fact type for a very good reason as residences can be common between two people but aren't always in common, thus aren't a shared fact.So I created "residence shared" so that it would be listed under the marriage fact. Here is the relative I am working on at the moment.
View attachment 860
Does this change with FTM 2014? Am I now setting myself up for trouble when I upgrade next month?

One question that hasn't been answered though: I have been converting my residence facts for married couples into a "residence shared" fact (I understand other members don't agree but it makes sense to me). I then delete the individual facts. Aside from whether anyone else does it this way, am I setting myself up for disaster when I upgrade to FTM 2014 next month? Or will FTM just 'play along' with this custom made fact?
I've re-written all my residence facts as individual facts and re-set all my Lost Cousin facts as dates.I will go back to all my shared residence facts and re-convert them to individual facts.
That's exactly how I interpreted it too; after all, I have been in residence at my current address for twelve month, and at my previous one for twenty-two years and FTM reflects that.Residence facts can absolutely have a range of dates without problem. A residence is by its definition a period of time someone lived somewhere. A census is a discreet event on a single night.