In FTA there is a "Families" tab that reports on all the families within the tree (Gedcom).
- What does the "Count" signify?
Well, I think it is the total number of people in the "family". So a count of 5 would be 2 parents and 3 children. Now there are other variations that you could have, 2 parents only would have a count of 2, and a mother and child (unknown father) would also have a count of 2.
- Why have I got families with no Husband, Wife or Children?
A very intriguing question, as I also have a count of zero with only marriage details and one with a count of zero and no details.
However, the Family number is given and so opening the gedcom in Notepad and using CTRL F and entering F477 (the family number for my marriage only line) I can see the data in the file.
I can now see that there there isn't a definition of who is in the family, but fortunately for me, I have added notes to the marriage which appear in the gedcom file, so I can go look in my FT software to see what's wrong.
A good family looks like this, so you can see the family defined as having a husband (and the individuals identity number), the wife, and 4 children and the relationships to the parents.
Code:
00 @F602@ FAM
1 HUSB @I2478@
1 WIFE @I2482@
1 CHIL @I2481@
2 _FREL Natural
2 _MREL Natural
1 CHIL @I2483@
2 _FREL Natural
2 _MREL Natural
1 CHIL @I2479@
2 _FREL Natural
2 _MREL Natural
1 CHIL @I2480@
2 _FREL Natural
2 _MREL Natural
The one with no data looks like this
And the one with just a marriage looks like this. Which is also complete rubbish. Both notes refer to a marriage I removed so I guess something remained behind, but from the notes I got a name so I can go and look. But seeing as I removed him it could be a bit tricky
Code:
0 @F477@ FAM
1 MARR
2 DATE 17 DEC 1904
2 PLAC Toxteth Park, Liverpool
2 NOTE @N2996@
2 SOUR @S7@
3 PAGE Marriage
3 DATA
4 TEXT NameJames Tomlinson
5 CONT Birth Date1848
5 CONT Age22
5 CONT Spouse's NameJane Murray
5 CONT Spouse's Birth Date1845
5 CONT Spouse's Age25
5 CONT Event Date12 May 1870
5 CONT Event PlaceLeyland,Lancashire,England
1 NOTE @N2997@