My backup file is 5,403,100Kb so I'm sure FTM can cope with it.
One suggestion, create your backup on the PC's hard disk and then move it to your external drive or to something like Dropbox. It will be much quicker then.
Compacting the file is good to do.
When I moved to FTM I had the same issue with the hints, 4 or 5,000 of them. But as you add the censuses to the family's, then it quickly comes down. New hints are often worth looking at, they can occur when other people add facts to the same (or similar) people in your tree.
One suggestion, create your backup on the PC's hard disk and then move it to your external drive or to something like Dropbox. It will be much quicker then.
Compacting the file is good to do.
When I moved to FTM I had the same issue with the hints, 4 or 5,000 of them. But as you add the censuses to the family's, then it quickly comes down. New hints are often worth looking at, they can occur when other people add facts to the same (or similar) people in your tree.