FamilyHistoryGal
LostCousins Member
Please don't tick me off for duplicating a topic. The last topic discussing this subject is closed (cannot add further posts) apparently because a war broke out! 
I just want to have a light-hearted discussion about family tree software (that's all). I've used several programs FTM, Family Historian, PAF (now no longer available) and now Legacy 8. I found they all have advantages and disadvantages.
I liked PAF because it was free!
I used it to put my hubby's family history on. I didn't like the input screens (not that easy or clear) but I did like some of the reports it produced. As I could no longer use PAF I tried Legacy 8. What I liked about it was that I could use it on trial and if I liked what I saw I could buy the full programme which unlocked further features. I did like it and bought it. I think a trial version is the way to go on any family tree software as some are quite expensive and can be a huge disappointment.
For my own research and input I use a very old copy of FTM (2005) which I love because the family view is so great. I can see everything about a family at a glance. Entering data is easy too. I don't have it attached to Ancestry (though I used to years ago). I recently tried a more recent version of FTM and was very disappointed - so perhaps there is something to sticking with what you know!
Only downside of FTM is that I'm not impressed with the reports. I also have Family Historian which I like because it is British; so no terms that don't apply to the average British researcher!
I also like some of the reports it produces too.
What prompted me to use Legacy 8 was the disappearance of PAF. I've been very impressed with the layout, love the reports and quite like the mapping features (though its made me do more work on addresses in order for it to map correctly)!
I like the medical section where it allows you to put a primary cause of death plus secondary causes. I like the pedigree report and I like how the family view allows you to see at a glance which info is missing. It focuses me as no other program has done before and leads me to fill in the gaps.
I've already seen the programs some of you prefer but if anyone has anything to add that won't cause WW3 please feel free to add your favourite features of any programs you like.
I just want to have a light-hearted discussion about family tree software (that's all). I've used several programs FTM, Family Historian, PAF (now no longer available) and now Legacy 8. I found they all have advantages and disadvantages.
I liked PAF because it was free!
For my own research and input I use a very old copy of FTM (2005) which I love because the family view is so great. I can see everything about a family at a glance. Entering data is easy too. I don't have it attached to Ancestry (though I used to years ago). I recently tried a more recent version of FTM and was very disappointed - so perhaps there is something to sticking with what you know!
Only downside of FTM is that I'm not impressed with the reports. I also have Family Historian which I like because it is British; so no terms that don't apply to the average British researcher!
What prompted me to use Legacy 8 was the disappearance of PAF. I've been very impressed with the layout, love the reports and quite like the mapping features (though its made me do more work on addresses in order for it to map correctly)!
I've already seen the programs some of you prefer but if anyone has anything to add that won't cause WW3 please feel free to add your favourite features of any programs you like.