Helen7
LostCousins Superstar
I've just put this puzzle to my son, who is a mathematician, and his first response was "it depends on the relative likelihood of fraternal versus identical twins". Then when I told him that identical twins are rare in sheep (<1% of twin births), he immediately came back with the answer 2/3. No hesitation. I'm inclined to believe him.
When you say 2/4, what are your four possible outcomes? As far as I can see, amalgamating the possibilities from the two scenarios (first lamb male, second lamb male) gives only 3 options: MM, MF, FM, hence probability of the other twin being female is 2/3 not 2/4.If the first lamb is male then there are only 2 possible outcomes, MM and MF. If the second lamb is male then there are also only two possible outcomes, MM and FM. Hence the probability of one lamb being female is 2/4, ie 1/2.