Bob Spiers
LostCousins Superstar
I came across this from an Ancestry Tree (and indeed other Trees) when researching the gentleman depicted - George Mackie 1834 - 1894.

I knew of the Bank Manager (and or Bank Clerk) occupation but you will need no guesses as what caught my attention... Murdered on the steps of his bank?
George Mackie relates to my grandson and his father my ex son in law (since divorced from my daughter). George Mackie 1834 born Aberdeen was the brother of my Grandson's 3rd Great Grandfather.
Such an event would have made newspaper headlines which even with a trial subscription taken out to Newspapers Com (since lapsed) I have been unable to uncover. I messaged the Tree owner responsible for the insert shown, and she admits it was something gleaned from other Trees, and she has been unable to confirm the deed herself, adding "no smoke without fire.
It would be unfair to seek the help of others without a brief note of George Mackie, who was I am afraid was something of a Roué and I even wonder if he made Manager or remained a Bank Clerk. His death year may also be 1891 rather than 1894. Here are the salient facts without which you will struggle
#1:Born 1834 in Aberdeen Scotland and we find him as a Bank Manager in 1871 In St Pancras, London. (Warning he may only have resided in London, the Bank may have been in Kent). He is married to an Ann(Ann E Billings) (one year difference in age ) and they have 3 children and a General Servant Henrietta B Cochrane who will come into the story later.
#2:Interestingly in 1881 he is shown as a Bank Clerk (?) still married but Ann is not present and I believe she died in 1882 and was perhaps in a hospital or home. With George is one daughter Ann Elizabeth who was present in 1871. They now reside in Hackney, London.
#3:I now record an Interlude because George has a dalliance with his Servant Henrietta Cochrane (13 years his junior) with whom he sires two Cochrane children in 1881 & 1883 No sign of a marriage and indeed believe there wasn't one.
#4:In the 1891 Census he is again a Bank Clerk (?) BUT THIS TIME married to an Annie 17 years his junior. I believe she is Annie Jamieson who he married in 1886 in Islington, London. Two more Mackie children. They reside again in Hackney. The only death I can corroborate is the same year as the Census -1891 in Thanet, Kent (likely Ramsgate).
The only question being asked is can anyone discover anything about him being murdered on the steps of his bank for the period 1891-1894 given his residence and Bank location could be Kent or London?
A conclusion to the question will come as a relief not only to me but my Grandson, who incidentally lives in Bermuda and is relying on his Granddad to uncover the facts. I hate to let him down but my research has failed to uncover how, why or when George Mackie he died.
I knew of the Bank Manager (and or Bank Clerk) occupation but you will need no guesses as what caught my attention... Murdered on the steps of his bank?
George Mackie relates to my grandson and his father my ex son in law (since divorced from my daughter). George Mackie 1834 born Aberdeen was the brother of my Grandson's 3rd Great Grandfather.
Such an event would have made newspaper headlines which even with a trial subscription taken out to Newspapers Com (since lapsed) I have been unable to uncover. I messaged the Tree owner responsible for the insert shown, and she admits it was something gleaned from other Trees, and she has been unable to confirm the deed herself, adding "no smoke without fire.
It would be unfair to seek the help of others without a brief note of George Mackie, who was I am afraid was something of a Roué and I even wonder if he made Manager or remained a Bank Clerk. His death year may also be 1891 rather than 1894. Here are the salient facts without which you will struggle
#1:Born 1834 in Aberdeen Scotland and we find him as a Bank Manager in 1871 In St Pancras, London. (Warning he may only have resided in London, the Bank may have been in Kent). He is married to an Ann(Ann E Billings) (one year difference in age ) and they have 3 children and a General Servant Henrietta B Cochrane who will come into the story later.
#2:Interestingly in 1881 he is shown as a Bank Clerk (?) still married but Ann is not present and I believe she died in 1882 and was perhaps in a hospital or home. With George is one daughter Ann Elizabeth who was present in 1871. They now reside in Hackney, London.
#3:I now record an Interlude because George has a dalliance with his Servant Henrietta Cochrane (13 years his junior) with whom he sires two Cochrane children in 1881 & 1883 No sign of a marriage and indeed believe there wasn't one.
#4:In the 1891 Census he is again a Bank Clerk (?) BUT THIS TIME married to an Annie 17 years his junior. I believe she is Annie Jamieson who he married in 1886 in Islington, London. Two more Mackie children. They reside again in Hackney. The only death I can corroborate is the same year as the Census -1891 in Thanet, Kent (likely Ramsgate).
The only question being asked is can anyone discover anything about him being murdered on the steps of his bank for the period 1891-1894 given his residence and Bank location could be Kent or London?
A conclusion to the question will come as a relief not only to me but my Grandson, who incidentally lives in Bermuda and is relying on his Granddad to uncover the facts. I hate to let him down but my research has failed to uncover how, why or when George Mackie he died.
Last edited by a moderator: