It's amazing what you find when not really looking, but that is certainly what happened with my 'Mackie' investigation when I set about writing its story for my Tribal Pages. I had the death registration detail but wanted to add the BNA newspaper report originally discovered by Peter. This time I really did go minimal entering just 'mackie' and then zoning on the year 1894. It would not let me narrow the search by location to Kent, so on a whim I clicked on 'R' and was surprised to see it showing Ramsgate (3). The search uncovered the 3 items and the last one was the death record, the middle one not relative to my search, but the first item truly caught my eye,
As always happens with BNA searches one gets the generic heading (often garbled by Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software), and then click on the article itself which, when suitably enlarged, one can read. Here they are with the OCR Headline first followed by the actual clipping. It will be self evident why they were of interest to me and note the date it appeared in the Thanet Advertiser - 7th July 1894
So would my George Mackie a retired Bank Clerk -about 3 weeks shy of 60 - be a crew member on a
Pleasure Yacht sailing off Margate (the sister seaside town of Ramsgate). Well I do not know that for sure but 'why not' springs to mind. How else would a Newspaper describe someone being part of a Pleasure Yacht other than a crew member. But an inexperienced crew member at that as he fell over board and banged his head and after rescue was taken to the local Cottage Hospital.
The head trauma injury could well explain how (if it was George as seems likely) he finally suffered from Hemiplegia and given the fact the complaint was recognised around mid October -49 days before he died on 3rd December 1894.
I had not anticipated this later development, but now uncovered, will give it due consideration and perhaps delve further or see what family thinks. In the meantime perhaps others would like to comment?