• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Tree tags

peter

Administrator
Staff member
Is anyone using Tree Tags or noticed them on other users' trees?

The Research Status tags are potentially very useful.

upload_2024-9-30_9-15-16.png
 
It took me a while to find where Tree Tags are and eventually found them in Tools on the person record page as an option under both View Notes and View Comments. It was quite easy to add one of the DNA tags to one set of gt-grandparents. I have seen various DNA symbols (e.g. a double helix) on the trees of some of my DNA matches, which are presumably custom tags, but no others I can think of. Could be useful, though.
 
Is anyone using Tree Tags or noticed them on other users' trees?

The Research Status tags are potentially very useful.

View attachment 2538

I've not noticed or used these before. I'm now wondering how to use them to indicate that someone's paternity is a hypothesis and unverified? Who do I tag? I want to tag the relationship, really. Maybe this needs a custom tag? The scenario is that I have some DNA matches who are all related to each other and the only sense I can make of how they are related to me (and to others in my extended family) is that one of my ancestors must be the father of one of their ancestors ... but as yet I can't prove this! It would be good to have something that would make this clearer when viewing the tree on Ancestry (it is perfectly clear in my offline tree, but only I can see that). The tree is private, btw, but I have given some people access to it.
 
Is anyone using Tree Tags or noticed them on other users' trees?

The Research Status tags are potentially very useful.

I have, but only in a very ad hoc basis - I think it would be a really good feature when building a tree (as it's difficult to go back and add them in on a big tree). The best thing I think is that you can filter your tree according to the tags you have added which would make it really easy to navigate a large tree if you have tagged several individuals or to search within a set group of individuals who have a shared experience.

I have used the custom tags previously to tag all those members of my tree who were victims of the Holocaust (and I use smart filters on FTM for the same individuals.)

The question I have is can others see the tags that you have used on your tree?
 
Peter,

The main one I use is "DNA Match" when I have entered a DNA cousin into my tree, and I remember (currently 386 of them in my tree, and 321 in Tricia's) but I also use "DNA Connection" when they are on the route to a common ancestor and there are a lot of siblings.
Cannot say I have actually made use of them having set them.
 
Let's hope so!

yes, you can! There's a guy I work with quite regularly who uses them in his public tree and I can see them all.

The new tag is quite interesting, the "prioritized person" with a max of ten with that tag. I've got them all chosen already on mine :-)
 
Tim, even more confused, whilst I know how it shows you you have marked someone as a 'prioritised person' I still don't know what a 'prioritised person' is. Your latest answer confuses further, what results ??
 
Well I can't find what I read now, maybe it was a pop-up but it was along the lines of "You can have up to 10 prioritised people tagged, and Ancestry will focus on those people to find as many hints/records as it can".
 
Interesting... I will tag a few of my 'dead end' cousins to see if anything happens. - Just looked and can't find this tag? the closest seems to be 'Brick Wall' ???
 
Tim, even more confused, whilst I know how it shows you you have marked someone as a 'prioritised person' I still don't know what a 'prioritised person' is. Your latest answer confuses further, what results ??

John, its essentially supposed to be "these are the people I'm actively working on". It gives you a filter in the tree view or person search to quickly jump to them. Ancestry is then supposed to complement that with extra rounds of searching to find hints.

So far I haven't noticed much of a difference from the Ancestry side, but its nice to have the filter in tree view to jump right to them.
 
Is anyone using Tree Tags or noticed them on other users' trees?

The Research Status tags are potentially very useful.
I have used tags. My two custom tags are "Illegitimate" and "Unsubstantiated Link". Don't really know why I created the former and though the latter keeps me on my toes I see there is already an "Unverified" tag in the Research Status group. I do find the filter process very clunky. Haven't yet starred anybody - all my direct ancestors seem to be shouting at me constantly, which makes it very hard to choose a handful....
The pedant in me is also wondering what criteria I would use to justify a "Verified" tag.
 
cf bandit, Note my message immediately before yours. Difficult to do if I haven't found it.

It is a beta, so not everyone may have it yet.

IFUl6Ppv
(https://imgbox.com/IFUl6Ppv if that doesn't work)

If you have it, you should see the star symbol next to the name. Click it to prioritize/unprioritize.

The tooltip they give isn't super helpful for it: "Prioritize the people you’re most interested in so you can find them more easily in your tree."
 
Back
Top