Bob Spiers
LostCousins Superstar
DNA isn't magic - 'brick walls' rarely crumble just because you take a DNA test, they collapse under the weight of evidence from different sources...
Yes 'the weight of evidence from different sources' is the key to breaking the proverbial 'Brick Wall', and limited or no cousins (even uninterested ones ) puts a real damper on that particular avenue if one needs to 'go-it-alone'. But I should warn that one can as easily create 'Brick Walls' for others - however unintentional- and here is my personal experience on that score.
Managing the results for someone who had his mother not been adopted into the family as a baby would indeed have been a bloodline cousin, but still a long time unofficial cousin who I shall refer to as 'J'. He had asked if taking a DNA test would confirm once and for all what he knew about his bloodline grandfather, learned from his mother and 'real' grandmother. I said I had high hopes that indeed it would, and so the test was taken and I explored the results.
Known facts:
His bloodline grandmother when a hotel chambermaid working in London had a dalliance (need I say more) with a Lieutenant Army Officer on rest leave during WW1 (1917 to be precise). She became pregnant and unable to get any help from the Officer's family (his father was a Vicar in the Church of England), returned to Birmingham, had the baby which was adopted (likely unofficially as the Mother and my Grandmother were long time friends) and raised in the family alongside my father and his brother. (I was in my 20's when I learned my Aunt had been adopted and was not in fact a 'real' bloodline Aunt).
Almost the first Match result given was a high probability one and named the father already known to 'J' both from family information and what I had gleaned from conventional research. I made contact with the Match and explained how 'J' came into the picture. The lady in question was a granddaughter (of the father's brother) and said whilst not fully aware of her Gt Uncle's indiscretions was not at all surprised and gave chapter and verse on the whole family, including the 'Vicar' who turned out not to be a nice person at all.
I arranged for J to make email contact with his newly found cousin and I know both got enormous benefit from so doing, and I also was pleased with the outcome. But that pleasure was not to last because many weeks later I received a message from a different DNA match source asking - in effect - who the devil was 'J'; insisting he was DEFINITELY NOT FAMILY.
I went through the motions again explaining circumstance and got a non too pleasing riposte from someone who turned out to be a granddaughter of the father, a closer cousin than the first contact. She insisted it was all made up nonsense and 'J' was bogus and not part of any family of hers. She implied quite strongly that she did not wish to take the matter further, I was not to contact again and she would never accept J as a cousin. Much later J learned from his earlier contact that the granddaughter took after their Vicar Grandfather, had emigrated to Australia and cut off contact with her UK based family.
So in effect I had innocently created a 'Brick Wall' that the other party did NOT WISH to explore further and would not be pacified with the fact that DNA cannot lie.
I think they call this the 'Ostrich' effect.
Last edited:
