Marguerite, I have encountered problems like the ones you describe on several occasions over the past year - and every single time it was either the bank or Visa who had blocked the payment, although they didn't always admit it during the first phone call.
They were all transactions within the UK, some with debit cards and some with credit cards, and in every case there were ample funds available. All of the companies I was dealing with were reputable, and none of them were in any way related to family history.
So whilst I can't be absolutely certain that Findmypast weren't in some small way to blame for the problems you faced, my experience would suggest that it is extremely unlikely.
They were all transactions within the UK, some with debit cards and some with credit cards, and in every case there were ample funds available. All of the companies I was dealing with were reputable, and none of them were in any way related to family history.
So whilst I can't be absolutely certain that Findmypast weren't in some small way to blame for the problems you faced, my experience would suggest that it is extremely unlikely.