• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

The 1939 Register

but it could be possible that he gave the correct parents, even if he'd changed his name.

On HIS Death Registration??? Nobody else would know the names of his parents (who had died back in England). He would just be another Joe Bloggs, or whatever name he had chosen, with unknown parents. I am sure that there must have been many such individuals in Australia at that time. I have searched for his real name and drawn a blank. I have no idea what other name he may have chosen. He is unlikely to have used the name of somebody closely related to him. I probably have more chance of winning the lottery :) than of guessing his new name.

His daughter, who married just before his departure from England, also posted requests for news about him over 30 years later in Sydney and Adelaide publications (that I have found). Perhaps she put similar requests in other towns/countries that I have not found.
 
unpaid domestic duties
I have just come across an entry in the 1939 register where the wife's occupation is given (both in the original and in the transcript) as "Underpaid domestic duties". Does this reflect frustration or a wry sense of humour, I wonder?
 
I have just come across an entry in the 1939 register where the wife's occupation is given (both in the original and in the transcript) as "Underpaid domestic duties". Does this reflect frustration or a wry sense of humour, I wonder?
I'm not sure what it is intended to mean. The standard description for a housewife is 'Unpaid domestic duties', and being 'Unpaid' is surely worse than being 'Underpaid'?

There seem to be only 40 examples in the 1939 Register, so I suspect they are transcription errors. If the previous entry was 'Under school age' the enumerator might well have written 'Underpaid' by mistake.
 
If a transcription error,what does the original state?
The original schedules haven't survived, so we don't now what the householder wrote. But we do know from the original post that it wasn't an error by a modern transcriber.

If you analyse the 40 examples Findmypast finds you might discern a pattern.
 
My search method on Findmypast obviously wasn't sophisticated enough - I got over 1000 results when searching the occupation field, and the ones I looked at were not 'underpaid domestic duties', but 'unpaid domestic duties'.
 
Last edited:
I got about 8 million results when I searched for 'underpaid domestic duties' as it seems to perform a keyword search.

But I found that searching for just one word and using wildcards stopped this happening, ie '*underpaid*'
 
While searching for one of my White ancestors in Wiltshire in the 1939 register I came across another unusual entry. William White, born 25.4.1860, had under occupation "Lying dead (Farm Carter)". I suppose his body was still in the house, awaiting removal for burial.
 
While searching for one of my White ancestors in Wiltshire in the 1939 register I came across another unusual entry. William White, born 25.4.1860, had under occupation "Lying dead (Farm Carter)". I suppose his body was still in the house, awaiting removal for burial.
William is listed as a death aged 79 in September quarter 1939. What is also amusing is in the 1939 entry he is listed as Married, but head of household Rhoda White listed as Widowed, is in fact his wife, they married in 1886. The occupation entry is in a slightly different colour ink so was added later? I wonder if a ration book was issued for William! Thanks for sharing Susan.
 
In 1939 my distant cousin Alice Hubbard and her future husband William Gornall were living at a Public Assistance Institution (P.A.I.) in Blofield, Norfolk, where they were both employed. Its name has been transcribed correctly (I double checked to make sure) - Lingwood Paw Law Institution.
 
In 1939 my distant cousin Alice Hubbard and her future husband William Gornall were living at a Public Assistance Institution (P.A.I.) in Blofield, Norfolk, where they were both employed. Its name has been transcribed correctly (I double checked to make sure) - Lingwood Paw Law Institution.
Pets at Home!
 
Back
Top