I'm coming rather late to this thread but do agree with Mike and, no, it's not like shoplifting - more like tasting the promotional free samples before deciding whether or not to buy. Many of us have used the Ref numbers in Advanced Search to extract more (free) information from the (free) Previews because we quite properly thought FMP had intentionally provided that very explicit functionality for just that type of searching, so we were not exploiting any loopholes. If that is not what FMP intended then they got something wromg in the programming and/or underestimated the ability of their core market of family historians to use a simple interface before deciding not to buy.Yes but the information we are taking isn't what they are selling. We are just taking a code that makes searching easier. We still have to pay for the data.
Either way, they first suppressed the Ref numbers to constrain our searching, so we used the URLs instead, but they have now gone further and encrypted the URLs. The old-style URLs still work but cannot be deduced from the new-style gobblydegook. A geeky way of extracting the Ref code has been noted (as long as it remains available) but the Advanced Search offers yet another explicit option of searching for all other open persons in the same household as one named person that we have found - unless FMP decide to cripple that functionality as well. I'm wondering if it really is about sales or whether FMP are trying to close a vulnerability that the Piece and Item numbers might, in the wrong hands, be used to hack into the Register pages and/or details of closed records, the ramifications of which would be very significant indeed.
I'm sure many purchasers are pleased with their findings while for many of us the 1939 Register doesn't live up to the hype. My own experience is that most household Previews are as I expected them to be, so I need not buy. But it can be a satisfyingly challenging exercise. I used the gender, marital and DOB filters in Advanced Search to confirm that a person transcribed as ~??? was my grandmother, so did not buy. And I used similar filters to locate a relative whose married name had been badly mistranscribed; it was sufficient to know who she was living with and the associated closed record is probably her infant child who will not be opened in my lifetime, so again I did not buy.
Peter suggested in post #10 that FMP might be seeking to recover its investment from the general public rather than family historians. He might be right. FMP have just junk-mailed my town with postcards asking "Who lived in your house on the eve of war? Your town in 1939" but have totally missed the fact that over 75% of today's town did not exist in the pre-war village, and have compounded that ignorance by using a picture of a very modern "landmark" building on the Marina (aka the now-demolished power station that the Germans never bombed because it was their "landmark" for turning right to attack Bristol).