• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

The 1939 Register

Yes but the information we are taking isn't what they are selling. We are just taking a code that makes searching easier. We still have to pay for the data.
That might be how you use it, but I know of people (not on this forum) who taken a lot of information without paying a penny.
 
Another endearing thing about FMP:-
Before the 1939 Register was published, if you bought £24.95 worth of units they lasted for one year.
Now all unit purchases only last for 90 days.

The Fireworks are going mad round here at the moment :mad:
 
I've only just come across this FMP blog item about the transcription of the 1939 Register. It's dated 3 Nov so I missed it previously. There are interesting explanations of some of the quirks in the Register as we see it.
 
but once people started using them to glean information instead of paying to look at the images it became rather less scrupulous
I disagree, there is absolutely nothing unscrupulous about gleaning information before deciding to pay out good money. As an old rhyming couplet puts it: "use your skills and nous before paying a sou" ('Caveat Emptor' in another guise).

Who on earth pays for something they do not want? I've lost count of the times I've foraged the free search information available in Data Bases such as 'Scotlands People' and 'Roots Ireland' (and others who insist on you buying credits to view real content) before finally hitting on something for which I will willingly pay. In my eyes and I suspect others it is a 'Catch 22' situation for FMP; close a loophole and you risk losing, and not to say alienating, a good many researchers who might have been induced to buy and use their valuable credits; or leave things be and by so doing stimulate more interest allowing people to finally discover what they seek, and use their credits wisely.
 
It's also worth mentioning that I haven't heard of a single LostCousins member who has purchased the wrong household.
 
I cannot find any of the 1939 data that I've entered onto any of my trees (Roots Magic 6)worse still,one entire tree has gone:eek: Surely this is a software problem rather than a more sinister reason (FMP is watching you!) I must say several times over the years I've opened a rmg tree and been surprised to find a lack of data information that I was convinced I'd previously entered. I've managed to find a gedcom file of the 'missing tree' but it was saved in January, therefore lacking lots of data entered since January.
 
I cannot find any of the 1939 data that I've entered onto any of my trees (Roots Magic 6)worse still,one entire tree has gone:eek: Surely this is a software problem rather than a more sinister reason (FMP is watching you!) I must say several times over the years I've opened a rmg tree and been surprised to find a lack of data information that I was convinced I'd previously entered. I've managed to find a gedcom file of the 'missing tree' but it was saved in January, therefore lacking lots of data entered since January.
I incorporate the date in the names of my family tree files - which means that, in effect, I have lots of backups saved at different points.
 
I couldn't help smiling at the introduction to the 1939 Register by Findmypast. At "What is the 1939 Register?" we learn that "... the enumerators were charged with the task of visiting every household in Great Britain and Northern Ireland to collect the names, addresses, martial statuses and other key details of every civilian in the country...". Surely very useful on the outbreak of war!!
 
martial statuses and other key details of every civilian in the country...". Surely very useful on the outbreak of war!!
Can you imagine the opposite dilemma; enrolling in a class given over to study (as you thought) "Martial Arts" to find you had misread the title? Come to think of it, it's probably been the subject of a comedy sketch already.
 
I note that Fmp are showing the name of an additional household member which will help identify it as the correct household.
 
My married great-great aunt as mentioned above was listed under her married name with no mention of her maiden name (even though she was living in the same house as her parents). I think that you'll find that those who married after 1939 had their married surnames added, but if they married before 1939 the name would have just been listed as their married name and their maiden name would not have needed to be added unless they remarried later.

I also love the term "unpaid domestic duties" and I would love to know what they listed small children's occupations as.
That is what I am finding. The surname from a marriage after 1939 is written first with the surname used in 1939 in brackets.
 
That is what I am finding. The surname from a marriage after 1939 is written first with the surname used in 1939 in brackets.
In general what you'll find is that the latest surname in the register appears first, with previous surnames in brackets. If there is more than one previous surname recorded in the register they appear in reverse chronological order.

Searches should find them whichever surname you use.
 
I just did a search for part of Winchelsea in Sussex and all but a couple of lines were visible. Seems to have been an aged community by the dates of birth.
 
I've just come across an interesting household member....Albert H All.... so entering 'All' in the surname on the advanced search form brings up a few Alls followed by a lot of ?Alls. (Please sound yer aitches).

Do ave a look for yourselves;)
 
Back
Top