• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Reply Icons

Gillian

LostCousins Star
Once again, there's no icon for replying to Bob's message. So I'll have to use a smiley instead :D
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Device????? A PC!!!!!!!!!! By icon I mean the icons at the bottom right hand side. Thanks, Agree, Disagree, Good tip etc. I don't even know what icon I need to reply to so many of Bob's messages - something to do with appreciating the joke or Bobism or whatever. Smileys will do instead.
 
Device????? A PC!!!!!!!!!! By icon I mean the icons at the bottom right hand side. Thanks, Agree, Disagree, Good tip etc. I don't even know what icon I need to reply to so many of Bob's messages - something to do with appreciating the joke or Bobism or whatever. Smileys will do instead.
Thanks for the explanation - I didn't realise you were talking about the 'Like/Unlike' icons. However I don't understand why you're not seeing them - note that they are faded until you mouse over them, so if your screen brightness is turned down you might not see them even though they are there.

The aim of the icons is to eliminate the need for people to post short messages thanking/agreeing etc - these can be annoying for people who are watching a discussion and getting emails every time a message is posted.
 
Don't be too fussed about icons Pauline,
I'm Gillian, but never mind, Pauline's a nice name, too. I don't have time right now to look at your ideas for my tree but will get back to you on them. Thanks so much for your interest. :)
 
Last edited:
However I don't understand why you're not seeing them
-
Peter, I didn't mean I wasn't seeing them - I am, loud and clear. What I meant was, there isn't a suitable one for my reply to Bob. Hence he has to get either a full reply or a smiley. See?
 
Peter, I didn't mean I wasn't seeing them - I am, loud and clear. What I meant was, there isn't a suitable one for my reply to Bob. Hence he has to get either a full reply or a smiley. See?
So what's missing from the list? I included everything I could think of.
 
Hard to say exactly; something that would give the idea of "Good old Bob" by way of acknowledging a witticism or Bobism. "Thanks, Agree, Good tip, Useful, Creative" don't quite fit. Don't lose any sleep over it, Peter. It's not that important.
 
I'm Gillian, but never mind, Pauline's a nice name, too. I don't have time right now to look at your ideas for my tree but will get back to you on them. Thanks so much for your interest. :)
Oh dear and there's you looking for a special icon to reply to my posts when I go and call you Pauline (probably because I had read one of her posts) when I know full well you are Gillian from Finland...and you with no 'plonker' icon to respond!! Never mind there is a smiley or two that would fit the bill like this one for instance.:mad:
 
Oh dear and there's you looking for a special icon to reply to my posts when I go and call you Pauline (probably because I had read one of her posts) when I know full well you are Gillian from Finland...and you with no 'plonker' icon to respond!!
index.php
 
...and you could follow on with the rest of the tonic sol fa: re - mi - fa - sol - la - ti. (Apologies if not to scale)!:p
 
Personally I dislike the use of smileys because they can be confusing or offputting for people who aren't regular forum users - it can make them feel left out, or give the impression that everyone else is younger or more technically able than they are.

Although there were over 500 messages posted in the Genealogy in the Sunshine 2015 area of the forum I don't think any of the attendees or speakers used smileys - we didn't need to.
 
Personally I like the Smileys. The problem with written text as opposed to spoken, is that you miss the pitch of what was said and the visually impressions from the speakers face. The Smileys help by adding a visual to help you interpret how the written words are meant to be take.

By pressing on the circled icon in the reply box, brings up the Smileys at the bottom of the box. There is a tooltip for each one, i.e. if you place your cursor over each one a small box pops up and shows you what the smiley means and also the short cut. The first one says Smile.
upload_2015-4-7_13-54-30.png
 

Attachments

  • upload_2015-4-7_13-46-6.png
    upload_2015-4-7_13-46-6.png
    37.8 KB · Views: 3
... they can be confusing or offputting for people who aren't regular forum users - it can make them feel left out, or give the impression that everyone else is younger or more technically able than they are.

I hope this isn't the case. By adding enough people over at LC website and hence being on this forum should demonstrate that they are more than technically capable of adding Smileys or any of the other options on the message box menu bar. Smileys are common now in all electronic communications, texts, emails, Forum posts etc. It's a personal choice, that's all.
 
Personally I like the Smileys
And so do I, and as for Peter's comment about no one attending Genealogy in the Sunshine having the need to use Smiley's well that sounds a wee bit pretentious. Are we lesser mortals?:(

As you say Smileys' are commonplace, and I find them in use by close friends and family (my daughter uses about 5 per email and my sister intersperses hers with the animated variety). Not always my cup of tea but each to his own, and I take to them far better than I ever did LOL, SWMBO and similar acronyms ', and yes now it's my turn to be pretentious!

Finally although I know each Smiley has a designated meaning that has never influenced my selection. I use whatever expression seems to fit the occasion and they are invariably applied with tongue in cheek.;)
 
Back
Top