• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

How You can Help Yourself to Taste Success!

Excellent work Chrissy, and thank you. I was that Idiot Guide (writer) :)
 
I was that Idiot Guide (writer) :)

I informed Peter how helpful and clear it was and praised the author, so thanks again. No way I could have managed that on my own! I have just learned that I have added over 1000 new people since 3 Dec........spurred on by the combination of the new GRO birth index allowing me to locate missing children and having to refer to the 1911 census in order to do that - and of course being finally able to use FTA as a quick guide to which relations were alive in 1911. It seemed logical to enter the 1911 entries on LC while in the process.

All in all it's been quite a fruitful week - 4 new cousins (3 by marriage), a number of new people added to my tree and a few longstanding problems solved.

However, I might need a break before I tackle the 1881 census.
 
Last edited:
Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
  • 76 new members joined the LostCousins site
  • 2,306 new entries have been added and
  • 374 relatives have been matched.
All numbers are above their rolling average. Well done Chrissy on doing such a great job, and so rewarding as well.

Good Luck Everyone!

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site.
upload_2016-12-16_11-3-14.png
 
Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
  • 28 new members joined the LostCousins site
  • 4,330 new entries have been added and
  • 421 relatives have been matched.
Nice rise in new entries, most from Chrissy I guess? However, I managed to load some, and I got a match! No response yet so we can check it again in the New Year.
The ratio of relatives added to matches was 10 this week, and I'm sure that people must have 10 people that they could add?

Good Luck Everyone!

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site.
upload_2016-12-23_16-58-17.png
 
Chrissy has done amazingly well - but the increase was also a result of the emails I sent to 33000 members who had entered fewer than 10 relatives, and the appeal in the last newsletter which included quotes from members of this forum.
 
Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
  • 40 new members joined the LostCousins site
  • 9,683 new entries have been added and
  • 901 relatives have been matched.
Well here we are, almost at the end of another year. Peter has an excellent competition running, and it's proving very effective as you can see by the numbers this week.
I have managed to add some relatives to 1841, 1881 and 1911, and I've been matched with 3 new contacts! The competition is still running so I have my fingers crossed that I might get more matches when other members add their relatives.

I've used FTAnalyzer extensively this week, to help me identify all my relatives which I needed to add. Such an amazing tool, I can't recommend enough!

Here's to a Very Happy and Prosperous New Year to one and all.

Good Luck Everyone!

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site.
upload_2016-12-30_17-25-51.png
 
The Merry Gentlemen may have been Resting, and the Shepherds Watching their Flocks, but the LostCousins Superstar has been pointing the way!
 
Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
  • 83 new members joined the LostCousins site
  • 10,616 new entries have been added and
  • 757 relatives have been matched.
Happy New Year everyone!

Peter's excellent competition has proved very successful. Over 20,000 new entries were added and 1,600 matches. Fantastic work everyone.
Not only do we all benefit from these new entries, but some lucky people have also won Peter's Prizes! A true Win Win scenario!!


Good Luck Everyone!

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site.
upload_2017-1-6_12-26-18.png
 
Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
  • 57 new members joined the LostCousins site
  • 7,435 new entries have been added and
  • 528 relatives have been matched.
The competition is still running! And members are still adding their relatives. Excellent work by all has produced another week of great results.
The more you enter the more chances you get to win one of the amazing prizes! And don't forget the bonus entries you get for adding 1881 census.


Good Luck Everyone!

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site.
upload_2017-1-13_10-57-24.png
 
Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
  • 140 new members joined the LostCousins site
  • 8,349 new entries have been added and
  • 225 relatives have been matched.
The competition is still running! And members are still adding their relatives. Excellent work by all has produced another week of great results.
The more you enter the more chances you get to win one of the amazing prizes! And don't forget the bonus entries you get for adding 1881 census.

Nice increase in new members and then we always see an increase in new entries and then in time in new matches.


Good Luck Everyone!

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site.
upload_2017-1-20_10-6-44.png
 
Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
  • 40 new members joined the LostCousins site
  • 5,531 new entries have been added and
  • 222 relatives have been matched.
The competition is still running, last few days!! Excellent work by all has produced another week of great results.
The more you enter the more chances you get to win one of the amazing prizes! And don't forget the bonus entries you get for adding 1881 census.

Next week I'll report on the data from the competition.


Good Luck Everyone!

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site.
upload_2017-1-27_10-31-21.png
 
Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
  • 74 new members joined the LostCousins site
  • 11,004 new entries have been added and
  • -64 relatives have been matched.
The competition has finished. But what great results have been achieved for us all. And then there's the lucky ones who will win one of Peter's amazing prizes.
  • over 430 new members joined the LostCousins site
  • over 52,000 new entries have been added and
  • over 2,500 relatives have been matched.
The relatives matched is -64 this week, the assumption is that an account(s) has been closed which will cause this.


Good Luck Everyone!

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site.
upload_2017-2-3_12-46-4.png
 
The relatives matched is -64 this week, the assumption is that an account(s) has been closed which will cause this.
That's right - a male member who had entered around 750 relatives left without giving any reason (female members generally explain why they're leaving, and are more likely to pass their account on to a relative).
 
That's a shame, and especially if you don't know the reason for it.

But you have to say, the results of the competition are truly impressive, over 52k new entries. And I was lucky enough to make some matches when I was entering mine. :)
 
the results of the competition are truly impressive
I was certainly very pleased - but we couldn't have done it without the prizes generously donated by Findmypast, Living DNA, and Family Historian.

Thanks to everyone who took part - especially those who did so well that they received an invitation to join this forum as a result of their efforts.
 
And I was lucky enough to make some matches when I was entering mine
And I was lucky enough to discover that one of "my ancestors" wasn't in fact an ancestor at all. I wonder how long it would have taken me to find out if the "cousin" who contacted me and I hadn't compared notes.
 
Back
Top