• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

How You can Help Yourself to Taste Success!

Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
  • 38 new members joined the LostCousins site
  • 3,656 new entries have been added and
  • 77 relatives have been matched.
Lots of new entries this week, but not many matches. But lots of new entries is always positive, they are there waiting for us when we next add our relatives to Lost Cousins!

How is FTAnalyzer helping you this week? I use it in so many ways to help me track down people who I can then add to Lost Cousins.

Good Luck Everyone!

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site.
upload_2015-6-26_10-44-48.png
 
Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
  • 21 new members joined the LostCousins site
  • 2,183 new entries have been added and
  • 149 relatives have been matched.
Lots of relatives matched this week, which has given us a new entry to match ratio of 14.65 This means that on average every 15th person entered give someone a match.

How is FTAnalyzer helping you this week? I use it in so many ways to help me track down people who I can then add to Lost Cousins.

Good Luck Everyone!

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site.
upload_2015-7-3_12-28-39.png
 
Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
  • 35 new members joined the LostCousins site
  • 1,746 new entries have been added and
  • 54 relatives have been matched.
A pretty slow week, I blame the weather, too many people on holidays, enjoying the weather or watching the tennis. Pims anyone?

How is FTAnalyzer helping you this week? I've just removed some duplicate census records, not sure how they got added, but they're not there now! Think I might check how many partial census references I've got loaded next.

Good Luck Everyone!

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site.
upload_2015-7-10_11-13-47.png
 
Ermmm, downloaded the zip file but it appears that ver 5.0.4.2 is in it instead of the Beta version?
 
Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
  • 110 new members joined the LostCousins site
  • 6,230 new entries have been added and
  • 315 relatives have been matched.
This is a double week results, but they are pretty impressive!

A new version of FTAnalyzer has been released, how's it helping you this week?

Good Luck Everyone!

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site.
upload_2015-7-24_11-52-41.png
 
Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
  • 27 new members joined the LostCousins site
  • 3,068 new entries have been added and
  • 129 relatives have been matched.
Lots of new entries this week and I noticed my match potential has increased over at the Lost Cousins site.

Have you tried the new version of FTAnalyzer and the new reports?

Good Luck Everyone!

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site.
upload_2015-7-31_7-22-52.png
 
Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
  • 39 new members joined the LostCousins site
  • 2,416 new entries have been added and
  • 67 relatives have been matched.
New members up this week and this always bodes well for the future. Normally means an increase in entries and therefore an increase in matches.

I noticed that there's been a lot of new versions of FTAnalyzer which means I'll be downloading the latest version straight after finishing this post!

Good Luck Everyone!

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site.
upload_2015-8-8_12-11-12.png
 
Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
  • 49 new members joined the LostCousins site
  • 1,211 new entries have been added and
  • 7 relatives have been matched.
New members up again this week and this always bodes well for the future. But I think you can tell the weather's been good, not much activity on the new entries front, and only 7 matches. I think maybe someone left?

Good Luck Everyone!

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site.
upload_2015-8-14_16-19-45.png
 
only 7 matches. I think maybe someone left?

If someone left due to their loss of interest then I can understand that they may not (possibly) want their entries in My Ancestors to remain. However, most of us will have spent many hours/days/weeks researching and building up these entries and it seems a shame (or worse) for all that effort to go to waste. Certainly, if I were to lose interest, such as due to my demise, I would hope that it would be possible for my entries to remain and hopefully help others with further matches. Even if my nominated beneficiary ** does not care to put in as much effort as I have done, I would hope that he would at least respond to any contact requests and help with other's investigations and their search for living relatives.

** I hope that everyone has completed and maintained that information after consulting with a suitable relative.

Regarding Red's comments, it would be useful to know when his figures are affected by a withdrawal of xxx entries. Can Peter make such gross information available, ie number added and deleted rather than the net total, without passing on any related personal details? There may, of course, be a continual removal of a few entries anyway as members discover errors and make corrections.
 
I'm guessing it's not a number that Peter ever thought to track? I wonder if Peter tracks last logged in date? It wouldn't help with this issue but maybe it's something Peter could send to people about the person that someone has made a match to?
 
I don't have any plans to make more information available, and a lot of the numbers I simply don't have anyway. I can tell you that there have been no significant account closures in recent weeks, but if somebody has deleted relatives from their My Ancestors page I've got no way of knowing. I doubt there have been more than a dozen significant account closures in the history of LostCousins (if that). Most closed accounts have never been used.

Most relatives of deceased members who contact me agree to leave the account open, and in many cases it is subsequently taken over by another member of the family. About half of the accounts that are closed are duplications - where somebody has inadvertently registered twice. Similarly some of the new accounts opened are likely to be duplications - these probably cancel each other out.
 
** I hope that everyone has completed and maintained that information after consulting with a suitable relative.
I have asked various family members, and no-one is interested in taking over my research. Not sure what I should do......
 
I have asked various family members, and no-one is interested in taking over my research. Not sure what I should do......
I'm the same AnneC, I'll just leave mine on and hope it will help someone else, not that I'm thinking of shuffling off yet !!:eek:
 
I'm the same AnneC, I'll just leave mine on and hope it will help someone else, not that I'm thinking of shuffling off yet !!:eek:
I try to avoid being too serious on the LC forum but this is a subject that has given me pause as well. I am thinking I might still be in a position when I also shuffle off my mortal coil to add a bribe for whomever would keep it going one more generation. I could, of course, leave instructions for the tree and all the scanned attachments to be made public and leave the tangibles for the family to share.
Occasionally when I am puttering about at IWM Lives of the First World War website and adding comments to Lives I think about the aim of the site to create a permanent record and hope that it comes to fruition. Perhaps in 2018 or just before the site closes I'll remove all the small blocks I've used to keep my identity fairly well hidden.
 
Something we should all do is leave a letter with our wills setting out what we want to happen to our intangible assets - not just our family trees and our LostCousins accounts, but also our email accounts, our Facebook pages, and other online accounts. And, of course, our executors will need to know our log-in names and passwords (make sure that information is in a sealed envelope!).
 
Back
Top