It depends on what is actually plugged into the USB ports at the back. If the devices are USB1 devices then you could move them to a USB1 port at the front and free up a USB2 slot at the back. Typical USB1 devices are keyboard, mouse, printer. That would save you buying an old small very slow USB drive.Anyone know where I can get an external hard drive that would be compatible with USB1 as the ports which are USB2 both appear to be at the back of the computer and occupied by other leads? I have a Lacie share at present and wanted to get another - got the other a couple of years ago, but only just learnt how to use it.
I got a new pen drive 2 weeks ago and that appeared to work OK, but it's so small it will get lost, but I want a larger capacity as the pen drive wouldn't store a fraction of my photos, let alone any FH data and I am told an external hard drive is less easily corrupted.
Given prior discussions with Chrissy, buying something that involves opening up the machine is not something I'd advise her doing, thus a PCI card is not a good bet. It is a decent solution for others especially those who are intending keeping their machine for a while, but it does take a degree of technical confidence to open up the machine. As Chrissy has said in the past, and I don't think she will mind me saying, technical confidence is not her strong suitAs an alternative, you could get something like this PCI USB card which would accept the cable for 2 of the front ports, converting them to USB2 as well as providing 4 rear USB2 ports. If you have a PCI-E slot available, then there are cards which will give USB3 ports at the back of the computer (but check the reviews to see if they are Vista compatible).
A very good point modern drives with larger capacities might not work properly plugged into a USB on a Vista machine. Another good reason to use a NAS device as it is effectively a mini PC in a box with its own disk and web front end to manage it so it really doesn't matter what type of device you have. Most NAS devices would work with Macs too and are a great way to move data from an old PC to a new one.Just another thought, Vista may have problems with advanced format drives (it has a patch to allow use of the "compatible" drives that "pretend" to have the older sector size), but I don't know whether the USB interface will mask that effect or not.
Given prior discussions with Chrissy, buying something that involves opening up the machine is not something I'd advise her doing. As Chrissy has said in the past, and I don't think she will mind me saying, technical confidence is not her strong suit![]()