I couldn't even begin to organise my data on paper, there are just far far too many cross-references between different families to try to record it on paper. As I've mentioned elsewhere on this forum I use Family Tree Maker 2012, I have well over a thousand certificates on paper, along with hundreds of census printouts but I don't try to organise them beyond 5 categories births, marriages, deaths, census, other; with each category in year order.
The computer organises and cross-references my data, produces maps, links to websites, interfaces with my mobile devices and gets backed up offsite so I can never lose my research. Paper is vulnerable to fire, flood, loss etc in a way that remote data storage simply isn't. Plus these days when the amount of remote storage that holds all my 8000 people in my tree is completely free, it ought to be available to anyone regardless of their budget.
BTW for everyone that uses a computer when is the last time you took a backup that is NOT stored on the same computer as the original? If the backup is on the same computer as the original its not safe. If your computer gets damaged you lose your main and your backup.
As an IT professional I often get people asking for home computer help, sometimes that involves someone who has lost some files or has files corrupted. My first question is always "Is the data really vitally important to you?". If the answer is yes then I say "Oh that's a relief, we can recover it from your backup then!!". Anyone who then says they haven't got a backup quickly realises their error when I say "Well the data couldn't have been vitally important if you didn't bother taking a backup".
PS. No I'm not quite that harsh but the story does send a message, there typically is very often no magic an IT guy can perform to recover your file if you damaged or lost it. Typically we rely on a good backup. Think about that and take a backup today.
PPS. I've nothing against paper record keeping, only I'm rather a hoarder and have various piles of disorganised paper so a paper based family history record would be a nightmare for me. I am personally in awe of those that manage to keep their records well organised on paper an amazing achievement in my book.
The computer organises and cross-references my data, produces maps, links to websites, interfaces with my mobile devices and gets backed up offsite so I can never lose my research. Paper is vulnerable to fire, flood, loss etc in a way that remote data storage simply isn't. Plus these days when the amount of remote storage that holds all my 8000 people in my tree is completely free, it ought to be available to anyone regardless of their budget.
BTW for everyone that uses a computer when is the last time you took a backup that is NOT stored on the same computer as the original? If the backup is on the same computer as the original its not safe. If your computer gets damaged you lose your main and your backup.
As an IT professional I often get people asking for home computer help, sometimes that involves someone who has lost some files or has files corrupted. My first question is always "Is the data really vitally important to you?". If the answer is yes then I say "Oh that's a relief, we can recover it from your backup then!!". Anyone who then says they haven't got a backup quickly realises their error when I say "Well the data couldn't have been vitally important if you didn't bother taking a backup".
PS. No I'm not quite that harsh but the story does send a message, there typically is very often no magic an IT guy can perform to recover your file if you damaged or lost it. Typically we rely on a good backup. Think about that and take a backup today.
PPS. I've nothing against paper record keeping, only I'm rather a hoarder and have various piles of disorganised paper so a paper based family history record would be a nightmare for me. I am personally in awe of those that manage to keep their records well organised on paper an amazing achievement in my book.