Emjay, you give me hope for the futureI've got used to W8.1
In what sense? Do you mean one that is expiring each day?Looks like it might be to do with cookies.
with a message down the bottom left of the browser saying "transferring data from edge.fscdn.org...
Yes that is the 64,000$ question and it has to be related to your security set up or a related add on piece of software such as one that searches, finds and deletes URL information; in your case set to do so on closure?on my first visit to the site each day a large chunk of data is being downloaded somewhere, and that each time I reboot it is being deleted
That's what's mystifying - apart from updates to Windows and Flash, I haven't made any changes to my computer recently, and in Win 7 programs can't install themselves without my permission, so I can only assume something has changed on the website.Yes that is the 64,000$ question and it has to be related to your security set up or a related add on piece of software such as one that searches, finds and deletes URL information; in your case set to do so on closure?
Looking further, fscdn.org is a domain owned by FamilySearch, and apparently where they store most of their website files - JavaScript, css, images etc. It will therefore need to identify my browser etc so it knows which files to load, but I don't know if it will be checking anything more than any other website.As I understand it edge.fscdn.org is a IP Lookup Tool which can find the whereabouts of a computer or router, the owner and the name of the computer. (Big brother is watching sort of thing). So what it all comes down to I believe is that each day to start with Family Search (courtesy of edge.fscdn.org) is checking you out. Once verified you are free to browse for the rest of the day. Something along those lines anyway.
Yes I concur and my first posting that it was an IP Lookup tool was incorrect. The FSCDN.ORG domain name is I believe the intellectual reserve of the LDS Church based in Salt Lake City and covers a multitude of associated Domains.Looking further, fscdn.org is a domain owned by FamilySearch, and apparently where they store most of their website files - JavaScript, css, images etc. It will therefore need to identify my browser etc so it knows which files to load, but I don't know if it will be checking anything more than any other website.
But you may well be right that it's this initial identifying causing the excessive busyness rather than something downloading.
I have designed my own offline homepage, stored in My Documents, with links to the sites I use regularly. So I just click my link to go to FamilySearch (or wherever) when I'm ready.Do you have Family Search set as a Home Page, or one of a set of home pages or do you just click on a tab and go there when ready?
I like that idea and quite original.I have designed my own offline homepage, stored in My Documents, with links to the sites I use regularly. So I just click my link to go to FamilySearch (or wherever) when I'm ready.
On the whole I prefer not to use this feature of IE - even if the host seems trustable, there's always the possibility of a site being hacked. Also, I don't think there is an equivalent in Firefox, is there?A further thought Pauline you can add family search as a trusted site in IE security zone. You can do this via Internet options, Security tab, Trusted sites; click on Sites: enter the familysearch.org address and be sure to precede with https:// (Make sure the require server verification (https) box is ticked).
No there isn't but there is a Firefox security add-on called 'no-script' which is quite a powerful security tool. Have to go out soon so will advise further tomorrow.Also, I don't think there is an equivalent in Firefox, is there?
I experimented on an old laptop with Ubuntu Linux (as many before me) and sort of, kind of, liked it, if you follow my drift. (Uncomplicated once you were used to it but did nothing for me). I was recently told I should try Mint Linux and now I see you recommend Debian.I now use debian Linux as my sole operating system, but having been with windows for years as well I know how frustrating things can get!
Each version of windows has its own idiosyncrasies. You just have to be patient with it...![]()
Linux mint is actually based on debian (one of the two basic flavours of linux - the other is redhat). It just has its own desktop looks and list of default programs. The thing I like about linux (apart from no cost) is that I can mix and match however I want it.I experimented on an old laptop with Ubuntu Linux (as many before me) and sort of, kind of, liked it, if you follow my drift. (Uncomplicated once you were used to it but did nothing for me). I was recently told I should try Mint Linux and now I see you recommend Debian.
it lets me use it for one search. But when I start another it puts up a message to say;
We are unable to display search results due to technical difficulties. Please try searching again in a few minutes.
This happens every time. Most annoying.
But I am in Australia so the same thing should apply here. It happens to me every time, day or late at night.I can see that this would be VERY annoying. Fortunately, it has not (yet) happened to me. Perhaps it is refering to an excessive number of concurrent users and I (in NZ) access that site at quiet times.
I have only recently gone back to using Family Search but my access route is via my original .paf tree software which I transferred to my current laptop. Although support for this software has been removed, I can still use the search facility on the toolbar to go directly to Family Search.....straight to the search form...no messing about, logging in etc.