emjay
LostCousins Member
things sometimes happen beyond your ken! (and please do not tell me your husband is not named Ken)![]()
things sometimes happen beyond your ken! (and please do not tell me your husband is not named Ken)![]()
OK truce on that one Pauline as we have both made our point and I accept what you say has a deal of sense.Naturally I'm aware that a whole multitude of things can go wrong with my computer that are beyond my control, and without any input from me. However, when something like that happens, it usually affects more than just the browsing of one particular website, and it doesn't tend to get better by itself.
Never did like the month but I doubt that has anything to do with it, but you never know; with computers. By that I mean you cannot predict; one minute angelic the next demonic. I am aware that preventing Windows completing a major download can have unfortunate consequence, but this normally takes the form of a big sulk and opening in Safe Mode to sort out. At worst carry out a Repair or Restore Factory Settings which is likely what your 'expert' did.The difficulties reported above seem to have all happened in January.
Ah, the dreaded Windows 8.1. I have to admit that I have been a wimp and have put the new laptop aside and have been using my desktop. I realise that I will have to bite the bullet one dayNew computer running Windows 8.1.
Leaving aside the original 8.0 version of the desktop which was universally disliked but greatly improved with its 8.1 update -despite those like myself who prefer to have 'Classic Shell' overlay to resemble Windows 7 desktop - the cognoscenti (the Computer Magazine fraternity) all come down on the side of 8.1 as a more stable system. Of course much depends on individual PC or laptop qualities, but generally 8.1 is quite a capable system, opening and closing down more quickly and less susceptible to crashes (Sorry Glenys and speaking of which it occurs to me perhaps your laptop was in the process of upgrading to 8.1 which was a major, major update; just a thought anyway)Ah, the dreaded Windows 8.1. I have to admit that I have been a wimp and have put the new laptop aside and have been using my desktop. I realise that I will have to bite the bullet one day.
I don't allow automatic updates - I always like to know what's happening and when.Experts said crash due to turning off while Windows was down loading a huge update (without any warning)
Do you do that with Chrome/Firefox too? ie: specifically disable auto updating? Most users of Chrome and Firefox aren't even aware that it gets regularly updated. It's efficiently dealt with "behind the scenes" so that you are always running the latest version. Microsoft is playing catchup with introducing that feature in Windows 10.I don't allow automatic updates - I always like to know what's happening and when.
That question was posed in my Computer Magazine (regarding Microsoft implying that Windows 10 'always up to date' means updates will be applied automatically) and like Alexander's answer the interpretation was that that would appear to be the case. I too think it quite likely but no doubt in a different behind the scenes manner. An interesting point anyway.See the Windows 10 Website for details. Note in particular they feature the "Always up to date" which strongly suggests you won't have the option not to install updates in future.
Do you do that with Chrome/Firefox too? ie: specifically disable auto updating? Most users of Chrome and Firefox aren't even aware that it gets regularly updated. It's efficiently dealt with "behind the scenes" so that you are always running the latest version. Microsoft is playing catchup with introducing that feature in Windows 10.
Yes agree with all Bryman says, particularly with regard to requiring a PC to be restarted before a Windows Update takes effect and that its download should not be interrupted. We should remember that many (if not most) Windows updates offer security patches to combat loopholes found by the nasty hacking fraternity, and we should lose no time in updating and restarting to let them take effect.There might be a slight difference between Windows and other software in that updates do not become effective until that program is next started.
If a system is powered off during the download of a browser update then the next time that the browser is started, the download needs to be repeated. Windows is not currently able to do that so it is more important that an update is not interrupted. I hope that Windows 10 does that better.