chrissy1
LostCousins Star
DO NOT GET SUCKED INTO BUYING AN MH SUBSCRIPTION. You WILL regret it.
Countless horror stories from that lot, basically the consensus is that they harvest tree data with little regard for content. They have NOTHING that isn't better on other sites.
Having had my Rootsweb tree 'harvested' by Ancestry many years ago I am now very wary of having another online tree anywhere. Placenames were altered - Mx (Middlesex) became Mexico, West Ham, Essex became West Hampshire, USA etc,etc....and hidden personal data was exposed without my knowledge and as I didn't have an Ancestry subscription at the time, I became powerless to correct the errors. The tree has finally been removed, but only after some 10+ years of correspondence with Ancestry and copying by name gatherers. (For those who bothered to contact me, I corrected all the mistakes!)
Countless horror stories from that lot, basically the consensus is that they harvest tree data with little regard for content. They have NOTHING that isn't better on other sites.
Having had my Rootsweb tree 'harvested' by Ancestry many years ago I am now very wary of having another online tree anywhere. Placenames were altered - Mx (Middlesex) became Mexico, West Ham, Essex became West Hampshire, USA etc,etc....and hidden personal data was exposed without my knowledge and as I didn't have an Ancestry subscription at the time, I became powerless to correct the errors. The tree has finally been removed, but only after some 10+ years of correspondence with Ancestry and copying by name gatherers. (For those who bothered to contact me, I corrected all the mistakes!)