• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Errors in Ancestry Trees

Errors on Ancestry Trees: Could anyone please advise - not only is the information incorrect on a tree but it is extremely insensitive. My comment about the data on the tree has gone unheeded and it's still there. I have contacted Ancestry and been told they cannot do anything about it. The problem is the death has been recorded on the tree as Committed Suicide by Gunshot - far from it. He died at home from TB soon after WWII and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Medal posthumously. Sadly someone most probably had died in such a way but my feelings are it should have been researched more thoroughly and given thought before making public. All the other information about the family is correct apart from this so I have posted the correct details from the Death certificate and advised the tree owner looks at it.
Because the person is deceased I don't think there is any way to force the tree owner/Ancestry to make a correction, but you could try phoning the Information Commissioner's Office in case they have any suggestions.
 
I have posted the correct details from the Death certificate and advised the tree owner looks at it
I have similar frustrations but nothing quite as ghastly as this, I sympathise.

If you have used the Comments field in the profile of the person who supposedly died by his own hand everybody who looks at that person can see your comment.
If you have contacted the tree owner and offered to provide a copy of the death cert via personal email, there is, as Ancestry infers, nothing more you can do.
 
Thank you, I've done all that you have said and am now awaiting a reply from an Ancestry Expert.
 
Errors on Ancestry Trees: Could anyone please advise - not only is the information incorrect on a tree but it is extremely insensitive. My comment about the data on the tree has gone unheeded and it's still there.
Have you messaged the tree owner or just added a comment on the person concerned? Also, have you checked when the tree owner last logged in, and if they have logged in since you posted your comment? It's possible that the tree owner hasn't yet seen the comment.

Also, has a copy of the incorrect death certificate been uploaded to the tree or has it been transcribed? If a copy has been uploaded then have you checked to see who first uploaded it & when?

I would have expected that someone who has actually purchased a death certificate to be a reasonably serious researcher, and thus more likely to be willing to change their data if shown to be incorrect. But of course, there are always exceptions.

Sorry for all the questions, but it might make a difference to what options you may have. Anyway, hopefully an Ancestry expert might be able to help further.
 
Thanks Pauline, yes, I messaged the owner of the tree on 5th Sept and as yet haven't had a reply. I've just looked to see when they were last on the site (thanks for this) and it was last month - ie September so not sure if they checked or not. I've uploaded a shortened but relevant version of the death certificate and cannot see another 'incorrect' one in gallery or transcription. But you have made me look more closely at everything to check so many thanks.
 
It's possible that the tree owner hasn't yet seen the comment.
They will only see the comment if they have ticked the Comments from other members box in their member connect activity which triggers advice that there is a comment.
 
They will only see the comment if they have ticked the Comments from other members box in their member connect activity which triggers advice that there is a comment.
What is the default setting? I don't suppose most users know about this setting (I certainly didn't and can't find it even now).
 
What is the default setting? I don't suppose most users know about this setting (I certainly didn't and can't find it even now).

You find it when you go to "Site Preferences", then under "New Hint notifications" there is a small blue link in the text which takes you to "Email settings".
On the Email Settings page, the fourth option is "Family Tree Hints and updates" with a drop down menu, when you click that it shows you all your trees, again with a drop down menu. Then it gives you the options for what you receive emails for: Content, New hints, new comments, invitations.

When I looked through mine, all but one of them were set to email me. I have no idea why one of them is set to "no", other than I made it private and unsearchable.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Tim
What is the default setting? I don't suppose most users know about this setting (I certainly didn't and can't find it even now).
It's on the E-mail Settings page, under 'Family tree hints and updates', if you click on the down arrow you get a list of your trees and those shared with you. For your own trees, one of the options is:
New comments
Receive emails when others add comments to your tree (with radio buttons for On and Off)

I think the default setting is 'Off'. I have it set to 'On' for my public ancestors-only tree attached to my DNA test and 'Off' for my more extensive private tree. However, I don't think these email settings mean much. My setting for 'Invitations: receive an email when someone accepts an invitation to your tree' is switched off, but I received such a notification the other day, but don't receive other emails where I have the option switched on.

EDIT: Sorry to repeat what jorghes has just said. I pressed the 'Post' button just before I saw her post come up!
 
I think the default setting is 'Off'. I have it set to 'On' for my public ancestors-only tree attached to my DNA test and 'Off' for my more extensive private tree. However, I don't think these email settings mean much. My setting for 'Invitations: receive an email when someone accepts an invitation to your tree' is switched off, but I received such a notification the other day, but don't receive other emails where I have the option switched on.

I actually think the default is "On", since all but one of mine has that setting.
 
I actually think the default is "On", since all but one of mine has that setting.
You could well be right. Most of mine are 'Off' but I don't remember switching them off! Must have been a long time ago. As I said, Ancestry seem to do their own thing anyway, regardless of my email settings...
 
You find it when you go to "Site Preferences", then under "New Hint notifications" t

It's on the E-mail Settings page, under 'Family tree hints and updates',

I feel you have disagreed with me, this is to prove I am not wrong and to show where I meant.

On your home page select See More in the Recent Member Connect Activity, you will get the screen in the attached doc..

I have blanked out the list of trees, the tick box I referred to in thread #86 is the final one on the right.
 

Attachments

I messaged the owner of the tree on 5th Sept and as yet haven't had a reply. I've just looked to see when they were last on the site (thanks for this) and it was last month - ie September so not sure if they checked or not.
There seems to be a new feature in Ancestry messaging (at least, one which appeared for me only yesterday) indicating when a message was delivered or when it was read.

I am not sure how reliable it is - some of my recent messages are showing as 'delivered' even though the person has logged in since, while others are showing as 'read'. At first I though only those replied to had been marked 'read' but looking further, that's not the case.
 
There seems to be a new feature in Ancestry messaging (at least, one which appeared for me only yesterday) indicating when a message was delivered or when it was read.
I've had a look at a random selection of my messages, going back to February. It seems that every message I have written has 'read' plus a time underneath and to the right of the text.
I haven't seen any that have 'delivered'.
I can see, and this disturbs me, blanks where the other party has deleted what they said. I do not like that feature at all.
 
On your home page select See More in the Recent Member Connect Activity, you will get the screen in the attached doc..
Thanks. I don't often look at these, but I see all the options are ticked for me too. I suppose it depends how frequently the person looks at the 'Recent Member Connect Activity', as it doesn't seem to trigger an email.
 
There seems to be a new feature in Ancestry messaging (at least, one which appeared for me only yesterday) indicating when a message was delivered or when it was read.
I noticed this feature several months ago in my messages. Some say 'read' and some 'delivered'. Where they have replied, it always has 'read' but the non-replies show a mixture.
 
I feel you have disagreed with me, this is to prove I am not wrong and to show where I meant.

Definitely wasn't disagreeing, more like confusion - I don't tend to look at the member activity because I'm rarely on the "dashboard" page of Ancestry. I tend to have either my tree already open, or hints open. (I'm one of those ones who leaves multiple tabs open at once, almost all the time.)

So I went looking for where you could control notifications for emails in regards to comments, because that's what I thought we were looking for!
 
I noticed this feature several months ago in my messages. Some say 'read' and some 'delivered'. Where they have replied, it always has 'read' but the non-replies show a mixture.
I think I have lost confidence in this feature. I just sent a message to a new DNA match and it immediately showed as 'Read' with the exact same time that I sent it. And since the recipient was not showing as active at Ancestry it seems to me extremely unlikely that they will even have had chance to read it yet.
 
Back
Top