slightly different information for his place of marriage in the search results (bottom) compared with the actual tree (top)
The key point is that the tree is correct, it's the way that Ancestry interpret the tree information in the Search results that's wrong. Unless we search our own trees we're not going to know that Ancestry are doing that.Seems like they got the date right and thought that was good enough. I've seen so many of such like errors.
Using the Ancestry drop-down to enter places generally avoids this kind of misinterpretation in the search index - or at least entering places in the same format with the country included.The key point is that the tree is correct, it's the way that Ancestry interpret the tree information in the Search results that's wrong. Unless we search our own trees we're not going to know that Ancestry are doing that.
Most experienced researchers construct their tree on their own computer using dedicated family tree software, so never use the drop-downs (unless, perhaps, they use Family Tree Maker). I've never manually updated my Ancestry trees.Using the Ancestry drop-down to enter places generally avoids this kind of misinterpretation in the search index - or at least entering places in the same format with the country included.
Yes, I guess I was thinking of people either using FTM or updating manually, and hadn't fully considered people who upload gedcoms.Most experienced researchers construct their tree on their own computer using dedicated family tree software, so never use the drop-downs (unless, perhaps, they use Family Tree Maker). I've never manually updated my Ancestry trees.
I now put church and street address information in the 'Description' field, with just town, county, country as location. That seems to work for me.And as soon as you include the name of a church where a marriage or baptism took place it completely throws Ancestry's parsing, as in the example above. There's a similar problem with street addresses.
What will work best will depend on the family tree program you're using. With Genopro I use the Comments area on the relevant tab.I now put church and street address information in the 'Description' field, with just town, county, country as location. That seems to work for me.
Yes, clearly it will vary. I use FTM and the Description box is just below the Place box. It syncs nicely to Ancestry into the Description area.What will work best will depend on the family tree program you're using. With Genopro I use the Comments area on the relevant tab.
I now put church and street address information in the 'Description' field, with just town, county, country as location. That seems to work for me.
We're not talking about searches but about Ancestry trees, and in particular trees uploaded in GEDCOM format. (There's another discussion going on at the moment which is about Ancestry searches.)I think you mean the Location field in Ancestry. If so, I put anything and everything in it and it doesn't cause me any problems. It creates its own drop down from what I enter.
The key point is that the tree is correct, it's the way that Ancestry interpret the tree information in the Search results that's wrong.
We're not talking about searches but about Ancestry trees,
I gave an example of how a tree entry can be misrepresented in Search results, but only to demonstrate that what we see in the Search results isn't necessarily what we will see when we look at the actual tree.Certainly seems like you moved on to talking about searches.
That's exactly what you'll see when you look at my tree. I'm sorry if you find it annoying, but I don't run separate Ancestry trees, I upload GEDCOM files produced by my family tree program. I'm sure many others do the same.But in lots of instances I look to see the source of their information and there is none. I assume at that point that they have simply copied their tree (or at least that part of it) from someone else's tree and they have no idea of the veracity of what they have published. Very annoying.
I thought if they'd copied from other trees, the source appears as 'Ancestry Family Trees' rather than nothing. If no source appears, I tend to think it has not been copied from other trees (certainly not directly) but could be from their own off-line research. They just haven't included the sources in the Ancestry tree, as Peter indicates.But in lots of instances I look to see the source of their information and there is none. I assume at that point that they have simply copied their tree (or at least that part of it) from someone else's tree and they have no idea of the veracity of what they have published. Very annoying.
Yes, I think that is the case, and if you follow it up you can see the tree(s) that the information comes from.I thought if they'd copied from other trees, the source appears as 'Ancestry Family Trees' rather than nothing.