Bryman
LostCousins Megastar
(However, remembering it all might be another thing entirely!)
Don't worry if that happens, you can always ask all over again, and again, and . . . It is even possible that you might get the same answer!
(However, remembering it all might be another thing entirely!)
Which reminds me of advice given by countless efficient family researchers (including, of course, Peter): remember to record everything you look up irrespective of whether it helps your research or not. Every now and then I start doing just. However, the spirit is willing but the flesh (kind of) is weak.
You don't need a computer to view images - a DVD player and a TV are sufficient. Or just a USB stick and a smart TV. Put things on a big screen and you can share them with everyone in the room.I'm not at all sure I trust computers that much
As long as the paper is of archival quality, as long as you use an ink that isn't going to smudge, or fade, as long as it doesn't get wet or burned, or stolen, or misplaced, or thrown away by mistake.... I think I'll stick to digital copies, thank you very much.At least, paper copies will never age the way 'technology' will. I'm always afraid it may be here today, gone tomorrow.
It is fine to take note of other opinions Gillian, but always remember you are free to agree or disagree. You have your reasons they have theirs. Apart from photos -which mostly these days arrive in digital format and remain stored as such - I too prefer to have print copies of everything I deem important. My wife, whose memory is not the best, would be lost without print reminders of appointments and such and I without a print off for my notice board of something I need to remember.Well, you know more than I do, Peter. I rest my case.
I don't see any need to view this as an either/or. Although home computers in some shape or form have been around for most of my adult life, the ability to make decent quality digital copies is more recent. Consequently, I have amassed quite a lot of paper in the years since I started my family history, and it is debatable how practical it would be to try and digitise it all.So now I have to decide whether to spend time scanning everything I haven't so far, or just continue to organise these papers in a comprehensible date format.
I don't think it makes any difference when you started - we all have a mix of paper records and digital records. Clearly it makes sense to scan paper records especially photographs, since you never know what might happen to them. - my aunt's photos were stolen by a burglar, which was incredibly upsetting for her and had a knock-on effect for the entire family.Thanks for all your views on this. I wonder if it all depends when we started researching. I've been at it for 54 years! There are things I've missed because I recorded them on paper, relatives' memories for instance, and then overlooked because I didn't have anyway to transfer that info when I first used a computer, and didn't keep checking back. So with my eye on internet records I forgot the paper ones. I do research for other people too, and there has been an instance when my very techie husband somehow deleted one family record from FTM and I had to go back to my paper copy to enter it all again. So I think I'll find a way to balance the papers I have, sorting it into some sort of order,perhaps date order to make a timeline, whilst continuing to use all the benefits of a computer, eg scanning and saving photos.
my very techie husband somehow deleted one family record from FTM and I had to go back to my paper copy to enter it all again.
I'll take a wild guess Tim, because that is what people choose to do and for lots of individual reasons I'm sure.The point of my initial post was to question why, when we view/receive so much of our family tree data electronically, that people then print that information out giving themselves a further cost, a storage issue and a filing nightmare?
I too have stuff on paper, but I don't print anything out.
For me, one reason is that I am not married to my computer, and sometimes I want to look at things when my computer is switched off. I like having both options available - it makes my life so much easier.The point of my initial post was to question why, when we view/receive so much of our family tree data electronically, that people then print that information out
I don't make backups of my family trees, instead I create a new version each time I make changes - the filename for each version includes the date when it was created.there has been an instance when my very techie husband somehow deleted one family record from FTM and I had to go back to my paper copy to enter it all again