emjay
LostCousins Member
I naturally headed for the box of maps I can never bring myself to throw out. I do cull it every few years
Yes I've thrown maps away to be replaced by latest editions. I recently however, wanted to know about streets where my ancestors had lived which had been demolished as part of slum clearance/redevelopement in Manchester. I put in a request to the A to Z publishers and was kindly sent some copies of the relevent pages from their first issue of Manchester Street Atlas. This was very helpful and I was able to locate the relevent streets featured in the census records. However, I then wondered when these streets or houses had ceased to be. This was when I regretted having thrown away street atlases I had used during my working life in and around Manchester, in favour of each new edition. It is when embarking on family and or local history that the significance of maps etc. as historical documents is realised.