• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Do you still print on Paper?

I'm not averse to people printing part of their tree to show someone with a computer, or proof reading etc. The original thought was about people who save an electronic file, say a census or BMD doc and attach it to a person/people, and then print it out as well!
 
What really pains me is people who have certificate images on their computer downloaded from sites like Scotland's People who offer to email copies. This often ends up with horribly blocky blurred images. Why? Well they print out the image they have on their computer (ie: in electronic form already) then scan it into their computer and attach the scan to an email. AAAARRRRGHGHG!!! :mad::eek:o_O

For whatever reason just attaching the original file they already have on their computer doesn't occur to them. This has happened on at least 5 occasions.
 
Well they print out the image they have on their computer (ie: in electronic form already) then scan it into their computer and attach the scan to an email. AAAARRRRGHGHG!!! :mad::eek:o_O

For whatever reason just attaching the original file they already have on their computer doesn't occur to them. This has happened on at least 5 occasions.
Careful Alexander or you will burst a blood vessel.:oops: Your logic is good but that is not the way everyone views things as not everyone saves to their PC's as I explain. I quite regularly get asked by a genealogical friend (a lady) in Birmingham to send her a copy of an FMP search as she does not have a subscription. She has helped me with Birmingham research in the past I am happy to do so. She provides me with the basic search detail and I view the image. She may just ask a simple question (where are they living for example) but more often than not wants a copy of the page. I usually turn to the printer friendly page, print it off, then scan and send as an email attachment as you describe. The quality is invariably first class. I have also tried using the snipping tool and sending as an email attachment that way but for some reason she is not so enamoured with that. Either way the page is not saved to my PC.
 
I usually turn to the printer friendly page, print it off, then scan and send as an email attachment as you describe. The quality is invariably first class. I have also tried using the snipping tool and sending as an email attachment that way but for some reason she is not so enamoured with that. Either way the page is not saved to my PC.
However Bob this is what gets me. The snipping tool is BAD for this, printing is BAD for this. The image is already there you have a digital version sitting right there in your browser. All you have to do is to attach or save and attach it to an email. Any manipulation of it will absolutely definitely result in an inferior image. Using the snipping tool results in the image reduced to 72dpi (dots per inch) as that's a typical monitor resolution. A printer reduces it to typically 150 or 300 or with a really top notch printer 600 dpi. Scans are typically 300dpi. However the original image is likely to be 1500-2000dpi.

I simply don't get why people convert a digital image to something else when they already have the digital data right there. The answer is almost certainly its what they are used to with other printed media.

Even if you have to save the file locally you can use a button labelled delete to remove it after you have sent it. In fact the act of printing and scanning will create copies of it on your PC anyway so there really really is no difference other than inferior tampered with images. They may be OK but they aren't as good as the original. This is especially true for black/white 2 colour TIF images printed and scanned to JPG.
 
When you are viewing an image, in the top right hand corner you will see an "Email envelope".
upload_2015-6-4_8-38-27.png


Clicking on it brings up a box where you can enter email addresses.
 
I must confess that when I first saw the heading for this thread the random thought popped into my head ..... "there's something newer than paper?" Since I like to keep new trends within finger tip distance I was relieved to read that paper has not been made obsolete by some new substrate. Then of course having used the word I was off on a tangent for a definition of "substrate".... and found this "the surface or material on or from which an organism lives, grows, or obtains its nourishment."
It's a bit of a stretch but that's the only reason I generally print anything ( on paper or in the case of a photographic image occasionally on fabric) or am grateful that anyone else has. I had a perfect example a few days ago when one of my daughters unearthed the rough print out of an assignment towards a university credit written about 25 years ago and before I got serious about our family tree. She had apparently interviewed me on some of my childhood recollections of my family's cultural values and there were some instances I had entirely forgotten. Other recollections, about a quarter century later, I view in a different light but needless to say the notes will be scanned and become part of the family tree.
 
Talking of paper printouts and bang on topic the other day (OK weeks ago) I spent a wonderful two hours just diving into an archive box of genealogical (related) old print outs. Aeons old and previously in the loft and only now in a bedroom because the loft had needed to be cleared to allow the fitting of new insulation.

For some time I had successfully dodged my wife's -'how long are these going to remain here?' and would you believe 'do you really want this 'stuff' anymore?':mad: (does a donkey like strawberries - that's a point do they?)..back to topic. I can't for the life of me remember what it is I was looking for or even if I came across it, but what was important was the pure joy of finding stuff (an entirely appropriate word) entirely forgotten about and included all sorts, even memory of a wild goose chase that led nowhere -but wonderfully preserved in black and white.

To the untrained eye ;) (probably anyone but me) it would just be a load of papers and admittedly most of the relevant content has long been digitally stored in my Tribalpages. But nothing, absolutely nothing beat ploughing through old papers and every bit as good as old photos (and there were a fair few mediocre scans of these as well given the equipment of the time). I was in my element or as my mother bless her would have said "like a pig in muck" :)
 
I spent a wonderful two hours just diving into an archive box of genealogical (related) old print outs. Aeons old and previously in the loft and only now in a bedroom because the loft had needed to be cleared to allow the fitting of new insulation. :)
In times past you would have been using discarded paper for insulation Bob!
 
In times past you would have been using discarded paper for insulation Bob!
Indeed and newspapers especially act as wonderful insulation. In professional cycling at the top of a steep mountain road and just before attempting a long winding often tortuous descent, there are team helpers handing out newspapers for just that purpose. The pro cyclists quickly stuff the newspapers (usually a couple of sheets) down the front of their jersey to guard against the severe chills caused during rapid descent at speeds well over 60 kph, and 80+ kph is not usual. The problem comes when they discard them at the bottom, but there are helpers on hand for that also.
 
Why? Well they print out the image they have on their computer (ie: in electronic form already) then scan it into their computer and attach the scan to an email. AAAARRRRGHGHG!!! :mad::eek:o_O
I am having my own AAAARRRHGHG moment at the moment. I often want to print out something that (more and more these days) can only be viewed in PDF format; a copy invoice perhaps or something similar. I only want to print off the item and then discard the PDF document. But the only option offered (clicking on the Printer icon or using CTRL-P) is SAVE! (Enter my :mad:moment). I DO NOT WANT TO SAVE so my only work around is to use the Snipping tool (sorry Alexander), then Copy and Save into Word from where it can be printed off. Then I can discard Word and the PDF document and achieve what I set out to achieve. But what a palaver and so unnecessary and it was not always so, even with PDF. So why all of a sudden am I only being offered the save option?:(
 
That sounds wrong Bob what program is this in? A browser I guess? Where are the options that only slow you to save? I suspect it's just not being as obvious as it should.
 
I don't know what version of Word you use Bob but later versions do allow you to open PDF files. You can remove the parts you don't want, print, then discard the file without saving. As Alexander says, above, all versions of Acrobat reader allow printing, even the browser add-in allows it. Of course, if you want to edit the file, you will need the full, paid for, version of the program. (Other PDF reader/writer programs are available ;))

It's strange but my defaults are completely opposite to yours. Whenever I get a printed receipt I immediately scan it to PDF and save it in my "Skydrive". In the event of a major catastrophe I will be able to access my files from a new computer or even a different house.
 
OK Norman first, yes I have Office 2013 and up to date Word. I am aware that it will allow me to open PDF files. (And of course had I saved the PDF document, Word would be the ideal choice to open, view and presumably print off). Then moving to Alexander yes I am working in a Browser in am email program. So to recap my problem. I buy something and receive an email order acknowledgment which in turn asks if I want to view the invoice? (It advises I will need to have a PDF reader and can download such if not). As I have Acrobat reader I click on the invoice and it duly opens as a PDF document.

I then click on the printer icon in the PDF document (occasionally this does not function but if so CTL+P never fails to work). Either way up will then pop my normal printer display box. But in place of the usual PRINT / CANCEL is SAVE / CANCEL. The first time this happened the SAVE bit did not register (I had never seen the option before in a print display box) so I was surprised when it asked me where I wanted it saved? I thought I had inadvertently made a mistake so cancelled out and returned to the print display, and sure enough the only option was to Save or cancel.

It has now happened on some 4 or 5 different occasions. If I elect to print it only offer to save!! Outside of a PDF document the print option performs as it always does on any of my PC's and duly prints at my WI-FI printer. I am sure PDF used to offer print but in the latest incarnation of Acrobat Reader that is now missing.

Now that my gander is up I am sure I will get to the bottom of the matter myself (I have already discovered someone Googling the same problem). But meantime if either of you or anyone has a solution kindly let me know. If I resolve the matter I will of course report back.
 
Oh my goodness me with the print hardly dry on my previous posting I find the answer within 'AcrobateUsers.Com'. The answer given (within its own Forum to a-n-other) is as follows: "I believe you are trying to print the pdf from your physical printer. After opening the PDF go to the Print Dialog box. On the Print dialog Box (at) the bottom left there is a check box which says Print to file. Uncheck that check Box, you would (sic) be able to print from your physical printer"

As the advice is somewhat old (and not strictly relevant) I can say that it did not materialise quite as written but I suddenly twigged the problem from the words 'uncheck the print to file box'. I had not noticed a Destination box beneath the Save/Cancel, nor the words 'save to file' (default); nor the all important CHANGE button below. So I clicked on CHANGE and it offered numerous options: Save to: File (default); One note; nova PDF (which I believe is Word); Microsoft XPS writer; Fax and even a set up for a Google Cloud save option...and of course my Printer. I clicked on the printer option (to replace the default) and returned to the display page. Sure enough the printer had now become the destination and the word Save had been replaced by Print. Easy when you know how isn't it?o_O
 
I wish I had followed this advice many moons ago. My husband always nattered at me to save emails for further reference. Once, during a computer "clean-up" or whatever he called it, one month's emails were eradicated. Reply: Well, I've always told you to save the ones you need". I hadn't even got printouts!!

I started with genealogy in 2003. I have boxes of printouts which I need to take to the monthly "old paper" collection in the village. I am at the point of:

Shall I bring the lot to the old paper collection container or shall I go through it methodically, checking out what I haven't computerised? I think the answer is clear. :)

Occasionally I use a printout to temporarily keep me up to date when working on a family. I research German Pork Butchers and not only my own ancestors and find my brain isn't kicking in as it should.

When Toni is out of the house, I use his 2 computers/monitors next to each other to record data - unfortunately he doesn't go out too frequently.

BTW it's not only older relatives that are not so computer literate.
 
Well they print out the image they have on their computer (ie: in electronic form already) then scan it into their computer and attach the scan to an email. AAAARRRRGHGHG!!! :mad::eek:o_O
My cousin's husband said he would scan some old photos and email them to me.
He went upstairs and came back with some photocopies for me!
His excuse was that the printer was not plugged into the computer, so he could not scan them - but the photocopies would be just as good!!! AAAARRRRGHGHG!!! :mad::eek:o_O
 
Back