If you don't tell me what you know about where your ancestors came from I won't know whether the algorithm needs adjusting - remember, we're still at the experimental stage.I understand where I put the number of pages into the spreadsheet, but I don't quite understand where the 3xg-grandparents come into it. Are you just meant to look in counties where you know/think that you have a ggg-grandparent? Please can someone help me? Or do I mean gg-grandparents?!
Enter your results for all of the counties and also record how many of your xxx x grandparents came from each county. Hopefully this makes sense.I understand where I put the number of pages into the spreadsheet, but I don't quite understand where the 3xg-grandparents come into it. Are you just meant to look in counties where you know/think that you have a ggg-grandparent? Please can someone help me? Or do I mean gg-grandparents?!
.. or possibly 0.5 for each of their parents if they are an "anomaly" - my children* have a 3g-gf born in Monmouthshire but his parents and all but one of his siblings were born in Gloucestershire (Bristol) and a second 3g-gf born in Hampshire with parents born in Somerset and all but one siblings born in Somerset or Gloucestershire (Bristol)! These are my only direct ancestors known to be born in these counties and, coincidentally, the two families "join" at the next level - in Bristol.Enter your results for all of the counties and also record how many of your xxx x grandparents came from each county.
Yes, I must remember that they won't all be whole numbers. Thank you, Phil.
An odd thing I have found when on Ancestry and looking through the pages of different counties for matches; in at least 3 different counties which aren't overly relevant to me, I have found the same 2 or 3 people popping up- Coates. Perhaps it is because their family tree is nearly 4,000 people, and it always says a great match, but I can't any connection as yet?!
Thank you. I took a quick glimpse at your spreadsheet and noticed that you had put your "out of country" 3xGG's in a small aside. I might use that idea if you don't mind?
Hello Peter,NEW VERSION
There is a new version of the spreadsheet which now includes Wales, and which has population counts updated from 1801 to 1881 (which seems to give better results). The two spreadsheets attached show my results - note that I have zero matches for Anglesey so inserted 0.51 as the number of pages of results - and my wife's. Sian's ancestors are 3/4 Welsh and her English ancestors came from Gloucestershire (I haven't highlighted the counties as my wife's tree is a work in progress).
So were Quakers.But Ulster Scots and Ashkenazi Jews are certainly endogamous.
Ulster Scots and Ashkenazi Jews are certainly endogamous.
After 1860 it was no longer compulsory for a Quaker to marry another Quaker. It's also relatively easy for an outsider to become a Quaker - my stepmother did.So were Quakers.