GrahamC
LostCousins Member
Yes Peter. Probably tomorrow.Thanks - are you able to quantify this by adding an extra column with the number of 3G grandparents who are believed to have ancestors from each county?
Yes Peter. Probably tomorrow.Thanks - are you able to quantify this by adding an extra column with the number of 3G grandparents who are believed to have ancestors from each county?
An interesting question. My first thought was that counting them once was right, but on reflection I think they should probably be counted twice (or almost twice), since most of the DNA your parents inherited from their common ancestors will be different. You can verify this by running a check (Are your parents related?) at GEDmatch.I have 28 3x g, grandparents as my mother and father are 2nd cousins. I have only counted them once but perhaps I should count them twice.
According to the AncestryDNA website, my DNA has been analyzed so the next step is "results ready". However, now that Canada Post is beginning rotating strikes on Monday it is anyone's guess just when I will receive them.
Really? I thought they sent you reams of paper.![]()
See post #31 on page 2 of this thread. In addition, see Peter's posts #182 and #200 on page 10 about highlighting and listing your 3Gs with ancestry in each county.In the meantime, I need to upload something to Peter's spreadsheet and need to know just how to do that.
See this thread.Oh - and what exactly are DNA circles? It says I have none and need to upload a public tree, which I have already done.
The only way you'll know that it's up to date is when the number of matches stabilises - if you have mostly British ancestors this is unlikely to happen until you have over 300 pages of results (ie over 15000 matches) and it could be substantially more.Well, I certainly see a difference since the other day. I now have eight pages for Essex instead of just two and twelve for Middlesex instead of three. (I only checked those particular two). I now have well over a hundred pages of results compared to just five or so on the weekend. Does everyone go through every page where the tree is available? I did start looking for just specific names but where they appear I get the same information. At what point is it completely up to date?
I've upgraded your account - someone shown as a New Member (even though you joined 4 years ago) doesn't have the option of uploading a file.I have worked out my results - but can't recall having ever uploaded an Excel spreadsheet to a forum, could someone kindly advise? Thanks in advance!
Thank you, Peter.I've upgraded your account - someone shown as a New Member (even though you joined 4 years ago) doesn't have the option of uploading a file.
At this stage the worksheet is still being adjusted, so probably best to wait for now.My results seem very good, very significant. All the 'home counties' of my 29 known 3x gt-grandparents appear at or almost at the top of the graph. One question is, might counties which at present we have no known connection to, but appear amongst the top 10 or so, be worth always bearing in mind when pursuing research further back in time. A professional statistician could advise - is there one in the house?
You should see 'Upload a file' to the right of 'Post reply'.Sorry to be a pain but I don't seem to have an 'add attachment' icon, have I missed something?