Bryman
LostCousins Megastar
I think that I must be beginning to lose it, or am just expecting too much from the data. Perhaps someone can suggest why I am getting confused.
I understand that A matching B and A matching C does not necessarily mean that B matches C, because the matches may be in different segments.
ie if A=123 and B=145 then the match can be in segment 1,
and if C=267 then A and C can match in segment 2 but there is no match between B and C.
However, if A and B were to share a match with C in any segment, then why wouldn't A and C share a reverse match with B in that same segment? When I try to extract similar information from my results in ThruLines, I find that the reverse match is not identified in several instances, and I don't understand why.
Unfortunately, my laziness is now catching up with me where I have not fully researched all branches of my tree coming forward since about 1800 ( ie all 2G Grandparents and their descendants). I am trying to use this shared match information to help identify where in my tree these other individuals might be found. When I contact some of my potential DNA relatives with perhaps 30-40 cM of DNA shared with me, they are convinced that we are not related because they can find no shared matches and the tree linked to their results, if any, only goes back 1 or 2 generations (and even that data is private because those individuals are still alive).
I understand that A matching B and A matching C does not necessarily mean that B matches C, because the matches may be in different segments.
ie if A=123 and B=145 then the match can be in segment 1,
and if C=267 then A and C can match in segment 2 but there is no match between B and C.
However, if A and B were to share a match with C in any segment, then why wouldn't A and C share a reverse match with B in that same segment? When I try to extract similar information from my results in ThruLines, I find that the reverse match is not identified in several instances, and I don't understand why.
Unfortunately, my laziness is now catching up with me where I have not fully researched all branches of my tree coming forward since about 1800 ( ie all 2G Grandparents and their descendants). I am trying to use this shared match information to help identify where in my tree these other individuals might be found. When I contact some of my potential DNA relatives with perhaps 30-40 cM of DNA shared with me, they are convinced that we are not related because they can find no shared matches and the tree linked to their results, if any, only goes back 1 or 2 generations (and even that data is private because those individuals are still alive).