The average number of 2nd cousins that we have is just 28 (according to Ancestry's research) so, even including their offspring, the number of previously unknown 2nd cousins or 2nd cousins once removed that we find is likely to be in the low single figures, and could well be zero.This is probably not the correct thread but I continue to be surprised at the numbers of 100+ cM matches that so many of you have!
I have only 2 - 1 a confirmed known 2nd cousin 162 cM & the other a 2nd cousin once removed 140 cM (both on my father's side).
This is probably not the correct thread but I continue to be surprised at the numbers of 100+ cM matches that so many of you have!
I have only 2 - 1 a confirmed known 2nd cousin 162 cM & the other a 2nd cousin once removed 140 cM (both on my father's side).
As I mentioned in my newsletter a few months ago, LostCousins members in Australia and New Zealand are significantly more likely to have tested their DNA than members in the UK. When you also take into the fact that people in the New World are more likely to be researching their family tree, it's not surprising that we all have a disproportionate number of matches in Australia and New Zealand.What I find more surprising is the number of the results that come from my Australian side (which is the majority you can see in those screen shots marked with the yellow dot).
As I mentioned in my newsletter a few months ago, LostCousins members in Australia and New Zealand are significantly more likely to have tested their DNA than members in the UK. When you also take into the fact that people in the New World are more likely to be researching their family tree, it's not surprising that we all have a disproportionate number of matches in Australia and New Zealand.
On the whole this seems to work well but today I was looking at a 'distant' cousin match with whom I share 19 cM across 1 segment, but can't identify our connection from their tree. Looking at the shared matches brought up an identified cousin via my paternal grandmother (24cM, 1 segment), plus eleven more I'd marked as possibly connected in that same line. So far so good.
However, half way down the list of shared matches is an identified cousin via my maternal grandmother (24cM, 2 segments) which has me somewhat flummoxed. There is no evidence either on paper or in my DNA that my parents were related.
Is this just a coincidence, or is marking the possible connection of unidentified cousins according to shared matches with identified cousins a potentially flawed approach?
Many single segment matches are very distant, some are false matches. It could be either.On the whole this seems to work well but today I was looking at a 'distant' cousin match with whom I share 19 cM across 1 segment, but can't identify our connection from their tree. Looking at the shared matches brought up an identified cousin via my paternal grandmother (24cM, 1 segment), plus eleven more I'd marked as possibly connected in that same line. So far so good.
However, half way down the list of shared matches is an identified cousin via my maternal grandmother (24cM, 2 segments) which has me somewhat flummoxed. There is no evidence either on paper or in my DNA that my parents were related.
So how safe is it to assume that a shared match of a known cousin (or several connecting known cousins) is possibly connected to the same line (or somewhere close to it)?Many single segment matches are very distant, some are false matches. It could be either.
Peter can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there is always the chance that a shared match in the 20-30 cM range is due to a segment (or possibly more than one?) being Identical by State rather than Identical by Descent. I'm not sure how you can tell the difference, other than if you both have extensive trees and there is no apparent connection, it would indicate at best a very distant relationship (or an unknown non-paternal event somewhere?)So how safe is it to assume that a shared match of a known cousin (or several connecting known cousins) is possibly connected to the same line (or somewhere close to it)?
I suggest forgetting about Identical by State - it's past its sell-by date.Peter can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there is always the chance that a shared match in the 20-30 cM range is due to a segment (or possibly more than one?) being Identical by State rather than Identical by Descent. I'm not sure how you can tell the difference, other than if you both have extensive trees and there is no apparent connection, it would indicate at best a very distant relationship (or an unknown non-paternal event somewhere?)
Thanks for the clear explanation. I was thinking IBS referred to the endogamous population situation you mention (that's certainly how I think of it).Segments can match either because they've been inherited by the same ancestor, or they can be false matches (usually where there are crossovers, but there's also a chance of a false read). Where the segments have been inherited the common ancestor could be recent or a long way back - for example if a particular segment is common within a population as a result of endogamy.
It isn't that they're not genuine, but that they're not useful - because the connection is so far back. For example, quite a few of the those who sailed on the Mayflower came from the same area as my ancestors, so I'm quite prepared to believe that the matches I have are genuine - but it's not going to help me knock down any 'brick walls', because once I go back that far I'm related to everyone in the county.I have several 'clusters' of single-segment matches of the type you refer to, and I agree that in the absence of other indications that they are genuine, are generally best ignored.
ThruLines don't take account of DNA - they use trees to find possible links to your DNA matches, that's all.I have had the first instance of a DNA result coming up on a constructed ThruLine with what I can only describe as completely wrong - though Ancestry seems to think it's possible - the shared matches with that DNA result don't much the side of the family for the constructed ThruLine!
ThruLines don't take account of DNA - they use trees to find possible links to your DNA matches, that's all.
By who?which is why I think the issue might need to be recognised
By who?