Which probably had rather less processing power, and certainly less memory, than a modern smartphone.....IBM mainframe
Which probably had rather less processing power, and certainly less memory, than a modern smartphone.....IBM mainframe
That could depend on your version of Excel, I recently upgraded from Excel 2007 and that did not have this option. Copy, right click in the cell and it's the little clipboard with horizontal lines.I don't get the option 'Match destination formatting' when pasting to blank spreadsheet.
I use Microsoft 365.That could depend on your version of Excel
If a total per census is all that's required, the statistics are on the My Summary page.you can even run a Pivot table to see how many entries you have in each census
Yes indeed.Was it Lotus 123?
Ah, we have solved the mystery because I am using Excel 2010. We know it is no longer supported but it still works perfectly and meets our needs.I use Microsoft 365.
Once you have the data in a spreadsheet you can sort it in any way you want.
Not so sure about that, I wouldn't want to run an insurance company on a smartphone.Which probably had rather less processing power, and certainly less memory, than a modern smartphone.....
It's only sorted by census and census references because you chose the Household sort on your My Ancestors page. The only sorts I would suggest are the four that are already provided, one of which is a sort by Name - but I know from experience that some people want to sort their entries in other ways, and transferring the data to a spreadsheet gives them that flexibility.How would you suggest it be sorted? Alphabetically by surname, or another way? It is already sorted by census date but I would prefer to have it easier to find particular names or families.
Yes it was, and as someone originally schooled in Lotus software it predated Excel by quite a few years. However when the Company considered changing to Microsoft's Excel (being newly promoted as the 'in-thing') I went on a week's couse to learn how to use same. Its format was remarkably similar to 123, and my first impressions were that it was a little inferior. Nevertheless Excel gradually grew on me and to be truthful Lotus 123 gradually faded from memory, and (I think) the market place,Was it Lotus 123?
Maybe you wouldn't, but when I worked for Commercial Union - one of the largest British general insurance companies - in 1979 I developed a system for the Accounts Department that ran on a Tandy TRS-80 with an 8-bit processor, 48k of RAM, and a 200k floppy disk system. It replaced a bureau-based system (ie a mainframe that was hired out) which had required information to be uploaded from a cassette tape using an acoustic coupler, and then processed overnight (at phenomenal expense).Not so sure about that, I wouldn't want to run an insurance company on a smartphone.
That's a trip down memory lane Peter, and slightly more advanced than my own Sinclair Spectrum 48K memories, but great learning curves all the same. This makes your comparison with the power of modern smartphones all the more significant.Tandy TRS-80 with an 8-bit processor, 48k of RAM, and a 200k floppy disk system
My first computer (RRP £699 in 1978) had 8k of memory; the 4k version wasn't available in the UK otherwise I would have been tempted - it was some time before I was able to fill the whole 8k.That's a trip down memory lane Peter, and slightly more advanced than my own Sinclair Spectrum 48K memories, but great learning curves all the same. This makes your comparison with the power of modern smartphones all the more significant.
Too true, whoever you are.(Apologies for the off-topic diversion down memory lane, but we oldies have to write these things down before we forget them.)
I had forgotten about that "household" at the top of the page (did check it out at one point). So, if I change it to "name" I can then copy/paste it to yet another spreadsheet, and do the same with "type"?It's only sorted by census and census references because you chose the Household sort on your My Ancestors page.
So I now have three spreadsheets to work with.
Unfortunately, I do not know how to sort the rows into a different order; I only know how to make a basic spreadsheet. I can total figures using autosum but that is about all. Everything else I have to edit manually. That is why I made three, although I may not ever use the second two. I have made a new column labelled connection and put the names of my four known branches beside each main entry, and the maiden names of the females, but that is all I have done so far.It is easy to sort the rows into a different order
I gave my reasons in thread #11.I am still dubious as to why anyone might want the data from their My Ancestors page in its current form to be held in a spreadsheet.
Hope this helps:Unfortunately, I do not know how to sort the rows into a different order;
