Forgive me for setting out my dilemma in trying to discover Alice McLean's origins , but I do so to act as an Aide Memoire for myself and perhaps in the hope someone will see a way forward. Here are the facts I am currently wrestling with.
I known Alice McLean-aged 21 was charged in August 1847 with Larceny along with William McLean aged 19 although he was only charged with aiding & abetting (or words to that effect). She was shown as Married. Here is the extract:
(Ignore the ditto that merely relates to the person who Committed them for Trial and the month)
Alice was sentenced to 7 years transportation and William was found not Guilty: here is the written extract.
As the 'Marriage' was later denied by Alice (see previous) and with William only 19 at the time and unlikely to be the man she lived with for 4 years, was she, or was she not, a Mclean by birth? If William was (say) her brother, then yes, she most probably was, but against this her I must take into consideration her previous conviction in 1843 was tied to the surname Thompson; (an alias or what?).
We know Alice admits to being from Edinburgh and I believe this to be so, but her crimes at least from 1843 onwards were all in the seedier parts of London. I can find no convincing Edinburgh births (or even Midlothian births) for any Alice McLean (the Lanarkshire/Glasgow one is not our Alice), nor for that matter any other credible Alice whatever!
We do know from 1847 forward, whilst awaiting transportation (her ship sailed Feb 1848 & arrived June 1848) she WAS known only as McLean, and remained so until in 1850 when she received permission to marry a fellow convict -my ancestor - Daniel Westbury. Strangely this surname was rarely used in reports always McLean, until from 1863 and separated from her husband who was serving time in a penal colony, she assumed the name Williams (don't ask).
Last but not least we have the hint of a surname 'H' from the tattoo AH/WS/1842 (also previous). I can find no trace of an Alice H and even less a credible WS partner. Alice seems to have just materialised in the 1840's in London, got into a life of crime which caused her to be transported to Van Diemen's Land, where she continued in the same vein. So wherefore art thou Alice I need to know?
Thank you for reading so far and at bear with me because it was good to get it off my chest.
