Bob Spiers
LostCousins Superstar
Thanks VT - that certainly came as a complete surprise. I was still puzzling about whether she was born Thompson or McLean (two convictions at the Old Bailey as you know) and now Williams!Perhaps Alice had changed surname to WILLIAMS.
Hamilton was also a district in Tasmania
Alice McLEAN arrived per Elizabeth & Mary 11th Feb 1848.
From Ancestry, searched for event in 1873 for Alice Williams
My first observation is to discover there is both an Hamilton and an Oaklands in Tasmania so am inclined to think it is the Tasmania Hamilton rather than the Victoria one.
My second relates to Margery's comments (which I will answer separately) suggesting perhaps the 'Hamilton as Williams' comment may NOT have related to Alice McLean. In a way I hope that proves to be the case but for the moment it was certainly affixed to Alice McClean, just as the Old Bailey 1848 McLean conviction cross referred to her committing an earlier offence in 1843 as Thompson.
Alice McLean was transported on the Elizabeth & Henry (not Mary) in February 1848 as you say and the same applies to Alice Williams apparently from the new information. That could be just administrative errors, but for the moment I will take them as read.
Meanwhile I must assume Daniel is no longer around and may well have died whilst serving his 5 year Larceny conviction at Cockatoo Island or shortly after release in 1859.
I think Alice lived in Wonderland (would make a good title for a book) and who knows what her next incarnation will be. I shall explore further.
