I too have just looked at the ethnicity painter as a result of Peter’s newsletter. Before I look at the full analysis of the 5 tests, I manage I too wondered whether it would help with Gedmatch. If, as seems the case, Ancestry is suggesting a specific ethnicity on a specific chromosome AND roughly its position on that Chromosome, it would be interesting to check which Gedmatch matches I have in those places. E.g., are people I have identified on Gedmatch as relating to my only Welsh line, showing up on Gedmatch on Chromosomes, where Ancestry have suggested I have DNA similar to their Welsh community group. If that does work, then maybe possibilities (rather than certainties) could be suggested by other section matches. Hypothetically (as I don’t have a wide-ranging ethnicity profile), if I had a group of matches on Gedmatch in a particular section of a say Chromosome 2, and I hadn’t identified where they belong in my tree, if Ancestry suggested that this part of Chromosome 2 area matched a Spanish community, maybe those Gedmatch matches are on my “Spanish side”?
In relation to Ancestry’s example, I guess if it is genuine, it may be a USA use citizen. I suspect as many USA citizens may have a more varied mix than many of us Brits, having the DNA painter may be more help to them, who are, after all, Ancestry’s main client base. Also, maybe if USA citizens have more varied result the colours on their chart are easier to distinguish. Not much help to us with all pale green and blue variations. You could copy the chart as an image and change the colours.