It's the old addage I suppose " If it ain't broke don't fix it"
Actually it
was broken and
did need to be fixed - at the old Findmypast site the address search didn't seem to work
at all for Scotland.
Sorry Peter I totally disagree the old address search gave something that is entirely missing now. In that respect the new search is missing a major feature. Thus it is not much better. It is better at finding PEOPLE it is NOT better at finding ADDRESSES. This is the point that FMP staff and strangely, from what I infer from your comments, yourself seem to miss entirely.
Most Findmypast users are researching their family, not buildings. If they're looking for an address it's usually because they can't find their relatives when they search by name, so they want to check the address where they used to live.
So if your great grandfather's address had been mis-transcribed as say Mood Street. Then you wouldn't find him at all by using Maud Street. If instead you were able to search by address you would find Mood Street listed and you would realise that was probably Maud Street mis-transcribed.
It is quite unusual that an address has been mistranscribed - mainly because street names typically appear multiple times, but perhaps also because transcribers were provided with a list of street names for cities (ie the ones we used to look up in the Family Records Centre).
Some people following this discussion may not realise that there are TWO ways of searching the 1901 and 1911 censuses by address at the new Findmypast site. One is to click the
Address tab - this returns a list of streets which match your search criteria, which is similar to the old site. For example, if I enter 'High Street' I get a list of over 3300 High Streets across the land; if I enter Brentford I get a list of over 1400 streets in Brentford registration district. Combine the two and I get just 21 results, of which the first is High Street, Acton.
I can then click on
Addresses to see a list of 166 addresses in Acton High Street. For example, I can see that The Six Bells was at 211, and the Railway Tavern was at 1-3. Also listed are properties which didn't have a number, such as West Lodge, The Red Lion, and The Pine Apple. This pretty much emulates what the Address search did at the old Findmypast site, and it has the same key disadvantages - you can't specify a precise address (eg '22 High Street') and you don't see any information on the inhabitants until you click through to the transcription. So if I was looking for someone in Acton High Street whose precise address I didn't know I'd have to look at all 166 transcriptions to confirm that they weren't listed in the census.
In practice I'm more interested in finding people than places - an address is just another way of finding someone whose name has been misrepresented in some way - so I usually click the
Person tab when I want to search the 1911 Census by address (the 1901 census works differently at the moment - I believe the 1911 version is the model for other censuses, though). This way the results I get are people, not places, and if I do know the precise address I can enter it - which I can't do when I use the more limited Search form offered by the
Address tab.
Anyone who wants to comment on Findmypast features can do so on their Feedback Forum, now called the Ideas Board (you'll find it under the Help tab).