Scottish searches is all I ever used it for, ie: the address search that returned addresses not people as results found many a farm name in Scotland that was spelt differently in different census entries. I only ever used it to search Scottish parishes. So it did indeed work for Scotland.
The problem first reported to me in 2012 related to certain streets in Edinburgh, but it was also pointed out by the same member that there were no results for 'Victoria Street' in the whole of Scotland (the new site finds 44 in the 1901 Census). Findmypast did agree that there was a problem, and as far as I know it was never fixed - however I rarely use the Scottish censuses myself, so it might have been remedied without anyone telling me.
Agreed people aren't likely to be researching buildings but that's not the point is it? The point it that it is extremely common for rural buildings, especially farms and cottages to be recorded differently from one census to another. I've had "Backhill of Overton", "Overton Back 'O Hill" and just "Backhill" as different records for the same place.
I don't know where to look for that particular entry, but my searches using the
Address tab certainly found similarly named places (see my earlier post). The old site wasn't perfect - some named places showed up in address searches, but some didn't. When I searched a town or village there could be lots of search results at the end of the list with no place name shown, and only by clicking through could you find out which properties they related to. (This may not have been a problem with Scottish censuses - I didn't routinely use them as I don't have any Scottish connections.)
I cannot understand why you think having an ALTERNATE method of searching is a disadvantage.
I didn't say that - in fact, I pointed out that there are two different ways to search by address at the new site, compared to only one at the old site.
Of course you are but there really is no need to be so stick in the mud about the fact that many of us would welcome an alternative. To be blunt WE ARE NOT LOOKING FOR PLACES, we are looking for people and we miss the alternate method of finding them. in the various census entries as you used to be able to do To suggest otherwise is to completely mis-represent or totally mis-understand our points. Which is precisely what FMP are doing.
I can't see what has been lost. There are two different ways to search the 1911 Census by address, and if you use the
Address tab it is very similar to the address search at the old site. The second option is to use the
Person search to search by address - this is usually my choice because it saves a lot of time when searching long roads.
Perhaps you are looking at earlier censuses, where the
Address tab has yet to be added?
However as has been said time and time again by people in this thread FMP aren't listening they are making the same mistake as yourself and talking about searching for people which misses the point entirely. To your credit you do point out the alternative for the later census thanks.
If you raise a query with Customer Support it is dealt with by a Customer Support person, but if you post something on the Ideas Board it is read by someone involved in development. Findmypast users had plenty of opportunity to comment on the plans for the address search - there was a long-running consultation to which over 1500 Findmypast users contributed in one way or another (correction: over 1500 votes were cast but users could cast more than one vote, although they had a limited number of votes to use across all the topics).