• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

York City - Which Riding???

chrissy1

LostCousins Star
York City was in the East Riding of Yorkshire from 1837 - 1946 and the West Riding from 1946 - 1974.

Does anyone know which Riding was it in prior to 1837 and to which it currently belongs?

I notice that the following entry appears elsewhere in the forum Record Offices (England & Wales)
NORTH YORKSHIRE:

Records for the city of York are held at the York City Archive

What I would consider to be the more useful York resource centre, The Borthwick Institute, currently located at York University's Heslington campus, is recorded on the same entry without mention of any Riding!
It makes life so difficult to find resources for York City when they are catalogued according to the Riding.
 
Last edited:
I found this on Wikipedia: "Unlike most English counties that were divided into hundreds, Yorkshire, being so large, was divided first into thrithjungar (an Old Norse word meaning 'third parts'), which were called the three ridings (East, North & West) and, later, the City of York (which lay within the city walls and was not part of any riding)." Perhaps it still isn't part of a riding.
I thought I posted a note asking you if you'd looked at Genuki but it seems to have disappeared.
 
Thanks, Gillian. I have always considered York not to belong to any specific riding since it is situated on the borders of all three and is of course the county town of Yorkshire, but it makes research difficult when certain sites insist on searching by riding alone. (I always check all three, but when I enter info onto my tree, I omit the riding and simply enter 'York, Yks'.)
My grandfather was born in the current shopping centre of York where his parents had a tailoring business in Parliament Street and his parents married at nearby All Saints', Pavement, Pavement being the rather quaint name of the street. It's a beautiful old city and I used to love my trips to the Borthwick Institute when it was located in the central area (now 2 miles away at Heslington, in the University campus), as it shut from 1-2pm, forcing me to take in the historical delights of the city. I soon realised that when the family moved a very short distance they ended up in a different parish, such is the density of churches....... Part of the city walls remain intact, close to the railway station (which lies outside the walls), but the city has inevitably spread well beyond those boundaries now.

Maybe Peter could make a separate entry for York City, in addition to the Ridings, if it doesn't actually belong to any?
 
Thank you for that introduction to York, Chrissy. It's a sad fact that I've never even been there and now probably never will be able to go either. The closest I've got is through its old Danish name of Jorvik, as only a few kilometres west of us (here in Finland) is a place called Jorvas and our local hospital is called Jorvi, both the same origin as Jorvik. We're even connected through the word pavement as right now, this very minute, we have a man making us a beautiful pathway of crazy paving, leading from our summer hideaway down to the lakeside sauna.
 
Back
Top