• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Y-DNA and placing onto Ancestry

I was hoping that I could pick up some new matches. I onlyhave my brother and father on the Y DNA tree.
 
I was hoping that I could pick up some new matches. I only have my brother and father on the Y DNA tree.
Ancestry don't use Y-DNA - their test is an autosomal DNA test. If your brother tested with Family Tree DNA he will hopefully have some matches there, but one of the reasons I don't generally recommend Y-DNA tests is because the number of matches can be very small, often less than 10 and sometimes 0.

How far back on your paternal line is the 'brick wall' that you are trying to knock down?
 
Evening Peter. My brick wall goes as far as my Father. He never knew who his Father was. You did so a sterling job for me a short while ago, where we found you and my hubby are cousins. I have been in contact with a Susan Rose, who has lots of Cheeseman in her tree (private on My Heritage) but we have not tied us together as yet. I was hoping that if I could put my Brothers Y-DNA onto my Ancestry Tree we could get some matches. You do have access to the test. Hope all is ok with you and yours. Regards Valerie
 
Back
Top