DavidK
LostCousins Member
Two of my second cousins on my maternal side recently had their fathers tested at FTDNA. The Y-111 results are confusing, with a genetic distance of 4.
The two men supposedly share the same paternal grandfather, but I personally have Y-111 matches of genetic distance 3 and 4 with no common ancestor in at least 5 and 6 generations, respectively.
In my Ancestry Autosomal DNA results, the daughter of one of these men matches me with 293 cM across 12 segments (above the 2C average of 233; range 46-515). Her father hasn't done an atDNA test.
The children of the other man match me with 258 cM/11, 187 cM/8, and 99 cM/5, respectively. Their father matches me with 439 cM across 19 segments (bang on the 1C1R average; range 141-851).
These atDNA results seem consistent with the paper trail, but the Y-111 results do not. The TiP report says the probability that they are first cousins is 29.47%. I realize that this is not zero, but...
The Y-111 differences, in case they're helpful, are as follows:
DYS19: 15 vs. 15-16
DYS442: 12 vs. 13
DYS446: 15 vs. 13
Both of these men have brothers who are still alive, and may be willing to test. And there's also a third man who shares the same paternal grandfather via another of his sons. Would it be worthwhile testing any of them?
I'd appreciate advice on how I might investigate further or, frankly, if I should bother. Perhaps this is just the nature of Y-DNA?
The two men supposedly share the same paternal grandfather, but I personally have Y-111 matches of genetic distance 3 and 4 with no common ancestor in at least 5 and 6 generations, respectively.
In my Ancestry Autosomal DNA results, the daughter of one of these men matches me with 293 cM across 12 segments (above the 2C average of 233; range 46-515). Her father hasn't done an atDNA test.
The children of the other man match me with 258 cM/11, 187 cM/8, and 99 cM/5, respectively. Their father matches me with 439 cM across 19 segments (bang on the 1C1R average; range 141-851).
These atDNA results seem consistent with the paper trail, but the Y-111 results do not. The TiP report says the probability that they are first cousins is 29.47%. I realize that this is not zero, but...
The Y-111 differences, in case they're helpful, are as follows:
DYS19: 15 vs. 15-16
DYS442: 12 vs. 13
DYS446: 15 vs. 13
Both of these men have brothers who are still alive, and may be willing to test. And there's also a third man who shares the same paternal grandfather via another of his sons. Would it be worthwhile testing any of them?
I'd appreciate advice on how I might investigate further or, frankly, if I should bother. Perhaps this is just the nature of Y-DNA?
