Gillian
LostCousins Star
Ancestry has recently published records of medals awarded in WWI, e.g. British War, Victory and 1914-15 Star at UK, WWI Service Medal and Award Rolls.
My Dad was among those awarded the 1914-15 Star (Doherty, T.O'C. Piece 2635 Royal Fusiliers). What puzzles me is the wording scribbled beside his name, which I think says "Label prep. by illegible". None of the other men has anything like that, only "No label req." or then nothing at all. Another interesting thing is the blank by his name in the column Record of disposal of decoration (second from end - sorry, top gog chopped off). The only other man with a blank is recorded as "Died". My Dad was very much alive. Pity the pic is very small so difficult to read. I've wondered and wondered what a label might be - thinking it must be some kind of 'medal terminology'. But now I'm beginning to think it might be no more than a postal term, though why Dad's label should need special preparation defeats me. Does anyone have any bright ideas? And I'm sorry if the link hasn't worked. I really did try this time!! Gillian

My Dad was among those awarded the 1914-15 Star (Doherty, T.O'C. Piece 2635 Royal Fusiliers). What puzzles me is the wording scribbled beside his name, which I think says "Label prep. by illegible". None of the other men has anything like that, only "No label req." or then nothing at all. Another interesting thing is the blank by his name in the column Record of disposal of decoration (second from end - sorry, top gog chopped off). The only other man with a blank is recorded as "Died". My Dad was very much alive. Pity the pic is very small so difficult to read. I've wondered and wondered what a label might be - thinking it must be some kind of 'medal terminology'. But now I'm beginning to think it might be no more than a postal term, though why Dad's label should need special preparation defeats me. Does anyone have any bright ideas? And I'm sorry if the link hasn't worked. I really did try this time!! Gillian

