That seems to me like flawed logic on their behalf. I can think of plenty examples in trees where perfectly good sources have been included, but for an incorrect baptism, marriage or burial etc. Of course there are researchers who try and guess dates and places, and never bother with sources, but many tree errors arise from an incorrect event being added.They do ask for sources which they claim ensures that it is correct.
They do ask for sources which they claim ensures that it is correct.
I agree, many of the incorrect entries I come across at Ancestry have sources attached, sometimes 7 or more.That seems to me like flawed logic on their behalf. I can think of plenty examples in trees where perfectly good sources have been included, but for an incorrect baptism, marriage or burial etc. Of course there are researchers who try and guess dates and places, and never bother with sources, but many tree errors arise from an incorrect event being added.
I would genuinely like to know your opinions as I have added some people. My intention is to keep my own tree separately on Legacy and would be unlikely to add anything from wikitree.In this case, Peter I agree with you.
Always keep your tree on your own computer - family tree programs are far more flexible and more powerful than any online tree. (Though I should say that I know nothing about Legacy - it could be the exception.)My intention is to keep my own tree separately on Legacy
Ancestry is by far the best place to keep an online tree. I have several private trees, and a public tree attached to my DNA results which includes only my direct ancestors.Can anyone recommend an alternative?
When Ancestry search for Common Ancestors and ThruLines hints they look at ALL searchable trees, private or public, which is why I often get a Common Ancestors connection with someone who only has 3 or 4 people in their tree. I doubt it makes any difference to Ancestry whether you connect your complete tree to your DNA results or do what I have done. My focus is on making life easier for my cousins....Sorry if this is a silly question, but what is the advantage of a public tree of direct ancestors linked to DNA? I have a large private tree which is linked. I thought that the more names available, the easier it would be to find connections when Ancestry looks for the common ancestor.
I have come to the conclusion that a tree which can be changed by others is not a good idea as it could lead to grumpy interchanges! I am all for collaboration and discussion but someone changing what I believe to be right could get frustrating!
I think you need a different approach when it comes to collaborative trees, and for the serious researcher it’s probably best to look elsewhere for the primary place to put your tree online. Otherwise it will, as you say, get frustrating when other people come along and change things that you’ve taken great care to get right. And from my experience with FamilySearch trees (also collaborative), exchanges can get beyond grumpy!I have come to the conclusion that a tree which can be changed by others is not a good idea as it could lead to grumpy interchanges! I am all for collaboration and discussion but someone changing what I believe to be right could get frustrating!
Which presumably means that the people who believe the myths can change your tree (for the worse)? If they can be bothered....you can actually correct those errors and myths
It’s certainly better if it involves your main tree, which is why I said you need a different approach with collaborative trees, such as those at Wikitree and FamilySearch. And also why it’s not for everyone - I know plenty of people whose attitude (perfectly validly) is “what’s the point?”however we weren't changing each others trees, just sharing which seems better to me.
That highlights the need for a different approach with collaborative trees - you need to step back from the idea of it being ‘your’ tree. It may contain your research but isn’t really your tree. It can still be frustrating if people delete or alter your research, but while I can’t comment on how Wikitree works in such circumstances (not having tried it), FamilySearch does allow you to restore your original information and so on. It’s usually not gone for good.Which presumably means that the people who believe the myths can change your tree (for the worse)? If they can be bothered....