Bob Spiers
LostCousins Superstar
I have a niggle, nothing more but can be summed up by the subject heading. Here is matter set out and the research is to help a family friend who has lost track of her childhood friend.
I have been looking for a female HARRIS (she had two quite distinctive first names but cannot reveal these as she is believed still living). I know she was born 1938 in Birmingham and am certain HARRIS was her birth surname and found a birth registration to confirm this and noted her mother's maiden name.
I am told she married a BROWN in the early 1960’s in Birmingham. Had 4 children born circa 1961-1971 (two believed twins). The family may have set up home in Worcestershire,
That is the end of my knowledge base so I out to find a marriage of a Harris to a Brown in the 1956-1969 era within a Warwickshire/Worcestershire catchment and counties beyond and FAILED. But not for the want of trying.
BUT I did find a MORRIS (same two first names) marrying a BROWN in 1961, and yes 4 children within the dates and two children had the same birth year. C HARRIS seems to have become C MORRIS by accident or design.
Possible reasons:
#1: Prior to the marriage (1956-1960) she had a relationship with a Morris and used this surname when the relationship ended to later marry in 1961. (NB Found no marriage of a Harris to a Morris that fitted in any way).
#2: She changed her surname by Deed Poll.
#3: There was a mistake in the marriage record and MORRIS should have been HARRIS?
#4: Other reason(s)
Note: the children are all recorded with the mother’s maiden name of Morris?
I favour #3 but could such a mistake have been made? What do others think?
Edit: Not particularly relevant but my Harris lady had an older sister, same mother and another set of distinctive names. I found her marriage easily enough and she is recorded as Harris!
I have been looking for a female HARRIS (she had two quite distinctive first names but cannot reveal these as she is believed still living). I know she was born 1938 in Birmingham and am certain HARRIS was her birth surname and found a birth registration to confirm this and noted her mother's maiden name.
I am told she married a BROWN in the early 1960’s in Birmingham. Had 4 children born circa 1961-1971 (two believed twins). The family may have set up home in Worcestershire,
That is the end of my knowledge base so I out to find a marriage of a Harris to a Brown in the 1956-1969 era within a Warwickshire/Worcestershire catchment and counties beyond and FAILED. But not for the want of trying.
BUT I did find a MORRIS (same two first names) marrying a BROWN in 1961, and yes 4 children within the dates and two children had the same birth year. C HARRIS seems to have become C MORRIS by accident or design.
Possible reasons:
#1: Prior to the marriage (1956-1960) she had a relationship with a Morris and used this surname when the relationship ended to later marry in 1961. (NB Found no marriage of a Harris to a Morris that fitted in any way).
#2: She changed her surname by Deed Poll.
#3: There was a mistake in the marriage record and MORRIS should have been HARRIS?
#4: Other reason(s)
Note: the children are all recorded with the mother’s maiden name of Morris?
I favour #3 but could such a mistake have been made? What do others think?
Edit: Not particularly relevant but my Harris lady had an older sister, same mother and another set of distinctive names. I found her marriage easily enough and she is recorded as Harris!
Last edited: