• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Why clerical errors would of occurred

  • Thread starter Thread starter At home in NZ
  • Start date Start date
A

At home in NZ

Guest
An all too common mistake, especially in spoken English. The short version of would have is would've not would of.
 
It certainly is. You wouldn't believe how people wrote in about it - they clearly hadn't read the article!
Guilty as charged, I couldn't get past one of my pet hates, I've read it now though.
:D
 
It jumped out at me as soon as I saw the e-mail, but I did take the time to read the article. :) Unfortunately, I see it a lot on Facebook.
 
It jumped out at me as soon as I saw the e-mail, but I did take the time to read the article. :) Unfortunately, I see it a lot on Facebook.
Unfortunately I hear it a lot and especially notice it on TV including programmes from the UK. Sad old me still watches Coronation Street and one particular character grates on me whenever he uses the incorrect pronunciation - should of.
 
A quick look for Coronation Street/Road/Square in Google Earth only finds ones built in the early 20th century. Obviously a build date in the first half of the nineteenth century is possible, but the latter half is unlikely. So I wonder it it was sneakily picked for the programme as a name you'd not find among the kind of housing being used as a setting.
 
A quick look for Coronation Street/Road/Square in Google Earth only finds ones built in the early 20th century. Obviously a build date in the first half of the nineteenth century is possible, but the latter half is unlikely. So I wonder it it was sneakily picked for the programme as a name you'd not find among the kind of housing being used as a setting.
Originally the programme was going to be called Florizel Street but the story goes it was changed to Coronation Street because it sounded better.
However, there is a different story in this section of Corriepedia
 
An all too common mistake, especially in spoken English. The short version of would have is would've not would of.
It reminds I once picked my wife up for saying 'Should of' (it was long ago and I lived to tell the tale) only to be told ..."What you heard is not what I said and you are listening with your Brummie ear and not being able to distinguish my Northants dialect". She repeated it and again it sounded very much like either Should-ov so easily mistaken for Should-of. She asked me to say 'Should've' and said to her that came out as 'Should-uvv'. In the end we agreed we would try to avoid the short form which is not easy when it was something picked up from childhood and pronounced as heard.

Childhood interpretations are often adrift and the best example of this is the child who told his parents that God's name was Harold. Having heard the Lords Prayer recited with the line ...'and Allowed be his name'.

EDITED BY MODERATOR TO REMOVE COPYRIGHT CARTOON
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure someone will point out to be that the Lords Prayer word mistaken as Harold, should have been spelled Hallowed and not Allowed. My wife has given me 50 lines for that error.:(
 
Back
Top